Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

Ummm Ya, Actions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-26-2009, 05:15 PM
Bronze Member

Ummm Ya, Actions

Well, I pretty much made myself confused. I'm trying to decide on a good action that will allow me to build a 338LM. A lot of posts on here say people build the LM off of Rem 700 or Savage long actions. I've also been reading sites that say LM need larger actions that are bigger than the Rem and Savage action.

My question is, what are the problems that could come across building a .338 Lapua off a long action by Remington or Savage? I've seen long actions on Gun Broker that are pretty cheap and in good shape. What should I be looking for so I make sure I get one that I am able to use?

I wasn't able to find anything with the search function. If someone could point me in the right direction I would greatly appreciate it.
Old 12-26-2009, 05:52 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Ummm Ya, Actions

Are you set on the Lapua?

What about the Edge? It fits easier in the Savage and Remington actions due to the smaller bolt face than the Lapua.

If you still prefer the Lapua, I'd skip the Remington and Savage and find a custom action that is built specifically to handle the Lapua.

Check out the Stiller tac338/Predator Extreme, Lawton 7000/8500, Defiance Machine.
Old 12-26-2009, 05:59 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by geargrinder View Post

What about the Edge? It fits easier in the Savage and Remington actions due to the smaller bolt face than the Lapua.

If you still prefer the Lapua, I'd skip the Remington and Savage and find a custom action that is built specifically to handle the Lapua.

Check out the Stiller tac338/Predator Extreme, Lawton 7000/8500, Defiance Machine.
I've been looking at the Lawton 8500 and Tac338. Everything I have been able to read, as of current, stated Lawton has been having quality problems. So I was leaning towards Tac338. I just wasn't sure if I was able to find an action that didn't cost almost $1,000.
Old 12-26-2009, 07:17 PM
Platinum Member

Repeater-BAT HRPIC. For a single shot-BAT M.
Old 12-26-2009, 07:35 PM
Platinum Member

Look at the Phoenix also.

I would forget the Lawtons right now, a "little" issue with QC going on.

BH
Old 12-26-2009, 08:04 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by geargrinder View Post

+1

The 338 RUM has a slight advantage over the Lapua in powder capacity and velocity at the
same pressures and the Edge has the advantage over the 338 RUM for the same reason
(More powder capacity).

The Lapua "Needs a larger dia. bolt" to leave more room for the extractor and this normally
requires the use of a mark 5 Weatherby or a custom action which is more expensive to build
on.

There is no doubt that the Lapua brass is some of the best brass available and will stand
higher load pressures if you are into that.

So with that said the choice is yours .

J E CUSTOM
Old 12-26-2009, 08:37 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by J E Custom View Post
+1

The 338 RUM has a slight advantage over the Lapua in powder capacity and velocity at the
same pressures and the Edge has the advantage over the 338 RUM for the same reason
(More powder capacity).

The Lapua "Needs a larger dia. bolt" to leave more room for the extractor and this normally
requires the use of a mark 5 Weatherby or a custom action which is more expensive to build
on.

There is no doubt that the Lapua brass is some of the best brass available and will stand
higher load pressures if you are into that.

So with that said the choice is yours .

J E CUSTOM
LTLR has also suggested that I just get the 338 RUM. But I'm not sure about the Remington XCR. I've heard horror stories about the stock and barrel. By the time/cost of replacing both, I might have well built a custom.

I've heard the muzzle diameter of the Remington 338 XCR is pretty thin and makes it difficult to place a muzzle brake and that the stock is a cheap mold injected stock.