Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

Typical factory ammo?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-21-2013, 11:36 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Typical factory ammo?

I shot my friends Savage 111 .300 win Mag last week with factory ammo Federal premium 180gr Barnes TSX with this group at 100 yards ...
Attached Thumbnails - Click to View Larger
Typical factory ammo?-p3051688.jpg   Typical factory ammo?-1-petes-.300-wm-barnes-180-tsx.jpg  

I voted for my "FREEDOM", "GUNS", and "MONEY" - keep the change - UNK.

"I am always proud of my country!"

"Leadership Rule #2: Don't be an @zzhole." - Maj Gen Burton Field.
Old 09-22-2013, 02:47 AM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by afwx View Post
I decided to take J E Custom's advice and look into the scope a bit further. I hadn't made much adjustment to the side parallax as I haven't had the chance to shoot past 100yds. During rotation the knob made an audible grinding noise like there was some broken glass in the scope somewhere. So today I sent it back to Vortex and hopefully this resolves the issue. Thanks for the input fellas, I'll post an update after I get the new scope mounted and tested.
Sadly, the PST line has been known to have quality issues, especially with higher power cartridge rifles. My suggestion is to sell the scope as soon as you get it back and get a scope that is up to the task. All the PST is a scope with upper end features without the upper end quality and durability. Truth hurts. If you're on a $1k budget stick to the basics and sacrifice unnecessary features(FFP, illumination, zero stop) for what really matters(clear glass, durability, repeatability).
Old 10-19-2013, 05:45 AM

I'll start off by saying Vortex's customer service lived up to their reputation. I received my scope back with an explanation stating that there was a piece inside the scope that was loose, and they also fixed the issue with the parallax adjustment. I am happy to say that after sighting in at the range, my groups have tightened up to just under an inch at 100yds using Remington Core Lokt 180gr. I'm going to hang on to this scope for now because I don't feel like I've had the opportunity to make a full evaluation. If it fouls and I have to send it back again I might try something different. Next step, bedding and hopefully a muzzle brake. If you gents have any suggestions regarding bedding or brake preference ( I don't care about noise, only effective recoil reduction) I'm all ears. Thanks again for all of the suggestions and input.
Old 10-19-2013, 07:23 AM
Platinum Member

Thanks for posting your results/solution. I personally find huge value when the OP comes back to explain the actual issue, the resolution, and the results afterward.

As far as brakes go, I can personally speak to the APA brakes. I have a "fat bastard" on a 338LM and it works awesome. I think the "little bastard" is appropriate for 300WM. If nothing else, check out their promo video as it is highly entertaining:

I've heard great things about Holland and Painkiller brakes as well, but have never been behind them.
Old 10-20-2013, 05:06 AM

That is what I call a promo video! Definitely an effective demonstration. Tough to argue those results. Much appreciated varmintH8R.
Old 10-24-2013, 08:46 AM

Thats Awesome! Im convinced on my Brake decision!

Quote:
Originally Posted by varmintH8R View Post
Thanks for posting your results/solution. I personally find huge value when the OP comes back to explain the actual issue, the resolution, and the results afterward.

As far as brakes go, I can personally speak to the APA brakes. I have a "fat bastard" on a 338LM and it works awesome. I think the "little bastard" is appropriate for 300WM. If nothing else, check out their promo video as it is highly entertaining: The Fat Bastard Muzzle Brake vs 338 Lapua - YouTube

I've heard great things about Holland and Painkiller brakes as well, but have never been behind them.