Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

Typical factory ammo?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-30-2013, 02:15 PM

Typical factory ammo?

I just set up a Savage 110 FCP HS precision 300 win mag with a Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50. I've put about 40 rounds through it with Federal 180grn and Remington 180grn Core lokt. The best groupings I've seen have been about 5-6 inches at 100yds at best. Is this typical for the bottom of the line factory ammo? I have plans to get into reloading and I assume groupings will improve significantly with handloads. I just wanted to make sure this was normal before I install a brake or make any other improvements to the rifle along the way.
Old 08-30-2013, 03:17 PM
Bronze Member

Re: Typical factory ammo?

I would say that, no, that is not typical. Generally even low end factory ammo will give easily under 2 moa groups and often under moa. Having two loads in a row exhibit that behavior would make me think there is another issue. Maybe try another bullet weight and/or have someone else shoot it.
Old 08-30-2013, 07:01 PM
Platinum Member

+1. Reloading helps squeeze extra accuracy out of a gun, but its not a magic wand. IMO anything over 2MOA indicates an issue (as described above) or an inaccurate rifle. Greater than about 3MOA in a modern bolt gun in any price range is completely unacceptable (ie, it gets sent back).

I have a BLR in 7-08 that shoots really crappy. When I started reloading I took to load development for it with great ambition. Now it shoots a little less really crappy. Still more effective range than a 30-30 lever, but certainly not a precision LR option...

Let us know what you find out
Old 08-30-2013, 08:06 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMcCullough View Post
I would say that, no, that is not typical. Generally even low end factory ammo will give easily under 2 moa groups and often under moa. Having two loads in a row exhibit that behavior would make me think there is another issue. Maybe try another bullet weight and/or have someone else shoot it.

+1

Most factory ammo will do better than that. I agree that something else is wrong with two different brands of ammo doing that bad.

The 300 Win mag is a very good round and something else is messing up the groups.

I would start by changing scopes if you have another one, if this does not fix it I suspect you have a barrel problem or a bedding problem.

If you have not bedded the HS stock don't assume that the bedding block is all you need because
if you loosen the action screws just a little , you can move the barrel back and fourth and rotate
the barrel clock wise and counter clock wise. (This is why you need to bed it).

J E CUSTOM
Old 09-01-2013, 02:10 PM
Platinum Member

my sendero shot fed 180 tx into .1 . it is no the ammo.
Old 09-04-2013, 12:40 AM

I decided to take J E Custom's advice and look into the scope a bit further. I hadn't made much adjustment to the side parallax as I haven't had the chance to shoot past 100yds. During rotation the knob made an audible grinding noise like there was some broken glass in the scope somewhere. So today I sent it back to Vortex and hopefully this resolves the issue. Thanks for the input fellas, I'll post an update after I get the new scope mounted and tested.
Old 09-04-2013, 08:43 PM

Pretty heavy recoil on that rifle as well make sure you have good solid scope base and rings. had a similar issue not as bad but occasional flyer with my 110 and scope bases and rings help alot. bedding as mentioned before also had positive effect on mine as well.