Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

Twist and velocity

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-27-2012, 11:39 AM
Silver Member

Re: Twist and velocity

CSI is just entertainment. A lot of the technical statements they make are simply not correct or unrealistic.

As for velocity, I think they simply meant that the barrel was not a precision fit seal with the bullet.

And this was another borrowed or stolen idea by TV writers not smart enough to come up with ideas of their own. For all of us old enough to remember the movie "Day of the Jackel", the frozen bullet concept was first introduced there. Covert hit operation at the beginning showed the assailants removing frozen water bullets from a special carrying case, loading them up into automatic short barreled assault weapons and doing the hit at an embassy or CIA hideout or something. (sorry, its been 38 years) All of this is a dumb idea though...uh, just to cover up ballistics, you're going to go through all that, and then fire ammo that will probably fracture inside the magazine???? And then you leave brass everywhere?? An intriguing concept at the start, but that's about it.

I'm real "fun" (not) to watch movies with because I pick apart all the technical flaws and holes in the plot. Watched Mark Walberg in "Contraband", and it was somewhat entertaining but the plot had more holes than my 200 yard targets with 5 round groups. The studios must think we're all so stoned that we can't think above a 3rd grade level. Well, as they say, "That's show business!"

Last edited by Shootin4fun; 05-27-2012 at 11:41 AM. Reason: Make that 400 yard targets!
Old 05-29-2012, 08:46 PM
Bronze Member

Re: Twist and velocity

Not saying this happens in every instance but a bullet can exit the muzzle with more velocity in a stouter twist barrel due to more resistance incountered. The increased resistance causes an increase in pressure behind the bullet as its pushed down the barrel. The increased pressure effects the burn rate of the powder and causes more of it to be burned faster. So says Bryan Litz in his Applied Ballistics book. I'm quite sure he does a better job of explaining it than what my futile attempt did. Its not substancial but it got my attention and enlightened me when I readit. Made perfect since to me.