Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

True 100yds or MPBR zero

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-20-2008, 09:54 PM

Re: True 100yds or MPBR zero

Thanks for the info all. you backed up what I was thinking. I will do my normal MPBZ range of 5" up and down then use my drop charts / range finder from there. We will see how it comes out in Wyoming this year in Oct for my 2 doe fawn speed goat tags then in Arizona in Dec for my cow elk hunt.

Thanks
Tony
Old 08-21-2008, 08:36 AM
Platinum Member

Where to zero is a personal choice, but I feel that folks don't spend enough time deciding on it

Certainly if all of your shots will be close then there is no reason for a long range zero.

I on the other hand I hunt terrain where a shot may come at 5 yards but at a fields edge, I might be able to see deer at very long range. A close deer may require a quick shot so I prefer no adjustments out to any distance that may require a range finder.

I started hunting with a bow so have always tried to hit the heart on a deer. This works great since it is very low in the body on a standing deer.

Using a ballistic program I like to use 9 or 10 inches as the MPBR, which many folks say is too large, but let me explain
This gives me a fairly long zero range, with my muzzleloader this is right around 300 yards.
My reasoning for such a zero is that I can easily tell if a deer is at 150 or 250, but not always further reliably.
When a deer gets out that far I will most likely be using a range finder, but if a deer is under 300 there is no need.
If a deer is ranged, then compensation can be made for a longer range impact.

Now the nice thing about a long zero and a heart shot is that if the deer is at the bullets maximum height, 4 1/2 or 5 inches above the line of sight, then the worst case is a high shoulder hit, something that lots of folks like anyway

My way of thinking is that from zero out to 300+ yards I get heart, top of heart, or high shoulder...all without any thought as to the trajectory.
This system works for someone that aims for the heart as their natural point of aim and takes most guesswork out of range estimation.

If instead, I were to use a 100 yard zero then at 300 yards I would be almost 10 inches low.

edge.

PS I should have noted that I do not use the bottom of the MPBR, but only the top which keeps my theoretical bullet path +- 2 1/2 inches. This is without regard to the rifles MOA ability, mine, also the available field rest.

Last edited by edge; 08-21-2008 at 08:40 AM. Reason: PS
Old 08-21-2008, 05:38 PM
Platinum Member

I too sight in for about 220 with a 300 mag. That way if I see anything within 250 I can aim right at the heart and it should land good. I figure that anything farther will take more aim time and won't be a big deal to adjust the aimpoint. I will "hold over" for up to 400 and beyond that I will dial. I hate sighting in at 100 simply because If I get a little excited and shoot at one at 250 in a hurry nothing good can come of it because the bullet will be pretty low imho. The bullet stays within a 5-6 in radius out to 250 or so (with a 220 sight in) and that is my preference.
Old 06-22-2011, 01:03 PM
Bronze Member

Just label your turrets for 100, 200, 300, 400, etc... You can include the 50's as well if you want more precision. Then you just dial to your range. No counting clicks or messing with charts. Your scope is zeroed for all ranges if you label the turret.
Old 06-22-2011, 02:22 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTony View Post
Thanks for the info all. you backed up what I was thinking. I will do my normal MPBZ range of 5" up and down then use my drop charts / range finder from there. We will see how it comes out in Wyoming this year in Oct for my 2 doe fawn speed goat tags then in Arizona in Dec for my cow elk hunt.

Thanks
Tony
I don't know if you've hunted doe/fawn antelope before, but they really aren't very big. If it were me, I'd personally use something more along the lines of 3" rather than 5" for PBR...........give yourself a little "wobble" room.

3" up/down usually keeps you in the vitals without damaging backstraps (the best part of an antelope IMO). And gets you out to 300 - 350 depending on cartridge/load. In my experience, anything beyond 350 it really pays to take your time, get steady and carefully mind the wind. 15-20 mph winds are pretty common here in this part of Wyoming.

Last edited by SBruce; 06-22-2011 at 02:28 PM.