Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

TRG-S 338 LM Bedding Job Results

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 03-14-2004, 06:02 PM
Silver Member
Re: TRG-S 338 LM Bedding Job Results

Thanks everyone! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Sako,here is is the bedding thread :

My Last Sako

That bolt tension thing makes sense, I will try it right away,thanks. For the last two days the groups have stayed the same, I really like this now because I actually know where the zero is and can work on loads and bullets. And I can practise,dammit! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

My MK load is luckily pretty good, I know it up to 600 meters now. This may be fun after all but I really expected more from this rifle in the first place. No BR gun for sure but 5 MOA was a little too much even for a light hunting rifle. [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]

IMO the stock is the real problem. Just too soft for the gentle Lapua. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Unread 03-14-2004, 06:43 PM
Platinum Member

Good to hear it's working out a bit for you, the critters will not be so pleased I suspect [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]. All this puttering with the Sako took care of some of that long dark winter I'd guess.

Take Care
Unread 03-14-2004, 11:44 PM
Silver Member

Yes it did! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

The dark time isnīt that long really. Three months ago we had five hours of daylight time, now we have twelve. In June the Sun barely goes down at all.

Winter is good time for reloading and hunting fox and snowshoes, for example. Snowshoe season lasts six months, deer about four. Also good time for LR practising in this kind backwoods where I live, easy to find places to shoot if you donīt mind walking or skiing out there in the swamps in all this snow. Thereīs nobody around and the noise gets absorbed ,good light too.

Time to roll some 225 SST:s now to confirm the trajectory and group at 400 meters. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

BTW, I know most people would have given up on this rifle. I found this trip rather educational. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Unread 03-15-2004, 12:40 AM
Silver Member

Petander, I would love to love Sako's but after the experiences I and others I have come accross have had I am very disapointed with Sako rifles. The first Sako I had was in the TRG-S 308 WarBird caliber, the firing pin assm. broke after the first 12 shots. By the way the firing pin in the TRG-S is retained by a very small diameter roll pin, if that pin breaks as a result of a pierced primer the firing pin can come straight back through your face. The second Sako was also a TRG-S 308 WarBird which pushed the first 3 bullets fired almost through the same hole @ 100yds. Well groups began to grow after 20 shots so I switched bullets and powder and got the groups down again, (Temporarily!!) Once again the groups at minimum loadings began to grow so I learned from this forum about relpacing the recoil lug and glass bedding the action which I did and this cut my group size in half (Temporarily!!). When groups again began to grow I sent the second rifle back! Now I have a Sako Hunter 75 SS 300WM as a temp gun for this hunting season. My conclusion is that Sako barrels are the absolute shits scince they went away from cut rifling to cold hammered barrels. If you look at the cold hammered barrels you can see that the rifling is faint and almost non existant at the muzzle and poorly defined through out. I think they are an O.K. meat gun for the average 100yd Joe but not for the serious enthusiast. The best route undoubtedly is to buy a McMillan stock, a 700 Mag action and a RockCreek barrel and have a good gunsmith assemble it for you!