Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

The Toughest Challenge for many long range shooters

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-06-2002, 11:42 PM
Platinum Member

Re: The Toughest Challenge for many long range shooters

Prime Time
Excellent point. My second head-ache exactly. Very frustrating when the wind is down, sun is up and you don't have anyone to shoot with. You have to have a spotter for long range, simple as that. It is much more fun switching off shooter and spotter every twenty shots. We shoot a lot but the guys have to work and keep up with family etc.
Old 09-07-2002, 07:02 AM
Bronze Member

I am very lucky, my friends and I can shoot safely out to 2400 yards right from my back yard. The only thing that messes us up is the crops in the summer time. But they will be out soon. And we can get back to the plate shooting. We have been able to shoot to 750 yards on paper all summer. But there is just something about the clank a Match King makes when it knocks over a steel plate that is music to my ears........LOL My wife and neighbors put up with all the gun fire with no complaints. Although she says the 300 Tomahawk rattles the windows. That is what windows are for right??
Old 09-07-2002, 09:56 AM
Silver Member

You've hit the nail on the head as my biggest head ache.

I'm beginning to think it must be easier to hit the lottery than find a good spotter.

My wife jumps when the gun goes off and loses track of the target. My boys get distracted and forget what they are looking
for. My hunting partner can't understand why I'd even want to shoot at anything more than 100 yards away and another
shooting friend says his eyes aren't good enough no matter how good the glass is. And as you can can tell from the pictures,
neighbors around here are kind of scarce.

My only blessing seems to be that this dry dessert dirt generally makes a five foot tall plume when the bullet hits. It's fine for
target shooting here in the valley, but I'd like to hunt in the mountains where the ground is moist.
Old 09-08-2002, 07:25 PM
Silver Member

Geeze Tim, can't belive that you would post that pic.! Out your back door! The closest spot I have is 22 miles away, and only good for just over 200 yards. The next is about 2 hours away, but good for at least 400 yards. Know of a great spot that would be good for over 1000 yards, just don't have permission! And its very close! Show some pity for your fellow shooters!
Old 09-16-2002, 11:27 PM
Silver Member

I've got it pretty good in that I can get 950 out of the father-in-laws reloading room window. Which is one of the reasons for me ending up at this site. There have been quite a few years when upon returning from hunting all day about 10 minutes before the hunting is done for the day, a nice buck or two emerge up at around 820. We have tried to stalk back up and either they leave before we get into range, it gets too dark, or are too winded to get a decent shot if we do get into range. We've tried waiting up there until dark, no combination has worked yet. I am hoping that with the information and help I've gathered here, and practicing the year or two to get proficient at that range, I can nail one up there. That is my goal.
Old 09-17-2002, 06:10 PM
Silver Member

Thats been my goal also. Like to extend my shooting range to be able to get at a couple of elk that like to stay just out of range! Just talked to the local gun range guys, they said it costs 200 smackers to join up the first year! Then ONLY 100 every year after that. THATS A LOT OF BULLETS!! The gravel pits that I have been using for the past 22 years look even better. Makes a guy a little more self-sufficient even more. Just got to make everything a little more "portable!"
Old 07-11-2010, 07:41 AM
Gold Member

Hmmm.....don't drive very far! About 50 yards to shoot 1600 yards. This photo was taken from the 1200 yard line!