Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

The Toughest Challenge for many long range shooters

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-05-2002, 10:52 PM
Platinum Member

The Toughest Challenge for many long range shooters

We tend to focus on hot-rod calibers, tack-driving rifles and state of the art optics.

I believe for many guys the toughest part of long range shooting is finding a suitable place to shoot. Access, safety and suitable distance for targets are major considerations and they don't necessarily come easy. We drive about 30-35 miles to our spots, usually hauling our gear and several hundred pounds of steel targets and frames. We have to worry about roads and trails since rain prevents access, as well as cattle and even the length of the grass. Yesterday we went out to shoot and recent rains had caused the damn grass to grow so much that we could not see our target location. Fortunately we could set-up at another nearby location but we found out that tall grass puts an end to prone shooting.

I would be interested to hear how good, or tough, some of you guys have it for your LR shooting locations.
Old 09-06-2002, 12:49 AM
daveosok

Re: The Toughest Challenge for many long range shooters

I drive 55 miles, to a desolate field, in hot weather and loads of knats and fend off the fire ants. I set up targets walk 20 miles as I do not have a 4 wheeler. and then wait for the temp to cool down so four shots wont melt the barrel.

It sfun but its an all day event and it takes a lot out of you.

I am in the process fo building a shooting tralier, I already have the shooting bench, a steel table 3/8 of an inch thick in the shape of a paddle and weighs about 350 pounds.

I NEED THE TRAILER lol.
Old 09-06-2002, 07:14 AM

If I want to shoot past 600 yds,I have to drive 1500 miles to my parents house in Wyoming. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] Seriously, the problem of a place to shoot is a factor that many who have it take for granted. I have a field locally that goes out to 1200 yds, but I can only shoot in it several times a year, as it is a cultivated field and the corn or soybeans make it hard to see. My local club is considering a 1000 yd range here in Memphis, so I may get lucky in the future. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

[ 09-06-2002: Message edited by: Chris Jamison ]
Old 09-06-2002, 08:23 AM
Platinum Member

Hello to all.

I'm happy to say that, here in the North Central area of PA where longrange hunting began, we have some great shooting just about anywhere for big game (deer).

For woodchuck hunting we have to get out of the steep mountains and to the farm lands which are north of here about 36 Miles. To our "favorite" farms and up to 1500 plus yards of shooting, the distance is about 65 miles.

The Williamsport 1000 yard range is 107 miles from my door here in Drtiftwood, PA.

All in all, except for the wide open spaces of the west, PA is hard to beat as per the shooting spots.

I will try to attach a pic of my shooting building here in the Driftwood area. We can shoot out to 3000 yards.

http://community.webshots.com/r1/9/31/95/28593195qZjkEozFuB_ph.jpg[/url]

Cut and paste the URL to your browser and the pic will come up

DC

[ 09-06-2002: Message edited by: Darryl Cassel ]
Old 09-06-2002, 08:48 AM
Bronze Member

Growing up in Eastern Oregon wide-open spaces were not a problem. I had a 350 yard shot year round behind my house and a 45 min drive could take me to many spots out in the woods where the low rainfall and little vegetation allowed great shooting all summer. Now that I am in school and in the western part of the state my options are very limited.

There are few local ranges that support high-powered rifles. So it is 40 mile drive up into the mountains. The dense trees and underbrush make possible shooting spots hard to find. With the large number of roads and people out and about I have to be very careful and there have been several times when I had to give up a day of shooting due to people in or near my spot.
Old 09-06-2002, 11:11 PM
Silver Member

Drive? Just to go shoot?

I prefer to just walk out the back door and shoot from the deck.

I built the bench in the foreground just for shooting from. See that mound of dirt just to the left of the Basket ball goal?
It's 800 yards from the bench.

The camera doesn't have enough clarity to pick up the other targets. But the 100 yard backstop is just out of the frame to the
right in the first picture and there are also targets there for 300, 500 and 1,000.

I've enough things to do with out having to drive someplace to work up new loads, have you considered moving to a more
shooter friendly area? I don't regret my move at all. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Old 09-06-2002, 11:16 PM
Silver Member

Ian,
Excellent point indeed. The other major obstacle is finding people to hunt and shoot with, who are as passionate about it as you are.
I am single and pretty much work bankers hours which gives me the opportunity to hunt or shoot almost every day. The vast majority of the time, it's by myself. Just last night I got some shooting at a woodchuck that was about 950 yards. He sat there for 3 shots but I couldn't quite get the rifle back on target in time to see the impact. With no spotter, this style of hunting is very difficult.
Those of you with regular hunting buddies, consider yourselves lucky.