Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

Totally Over My Head

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 07-13-2009, 12:43 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Totally Over My Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by X3MHunter View Post
.... that's 100 in one day, I don't think you would be very happy with a magnum after that.
X3M,

I have to agree with ya if..... you dont do anything to mitigate the recoil. And there are numerous ways to do that.

When I shoot a 7RM i start wincing after about 20 rounds without a slip-on recoil pad and I start wincing after about 15 rounds firing the 300 WSM without the slip-on. But with the slip-on I have fired both for combined totals of over 50 rounds and suffered no ill effects at all, I could easily shoot 200 or 300 rounds of 300 mag in a day and be just fine. Try it, you might like it.

Hats off for stepping up to help out Slafav.

-MR

Unread 07-13-2009, 05:55 AM
Silver Member

Montana,

If we keep 1000 lbs. minimum requirement for deer in mind, you cannot shoot deer with a 25-06 at 700 yards, actually, the 25-06 runs out at 550 (1002 lbs.) yards using Federal Vital Shock with 110 Nosler Accubond at 3100 fps. On the other hand a 308 using Hornady Light Mag with 150 Gr. SST at 3000 fps. will carry enough energy (1013 lbs.) out to 675 yards with the same drift as the 25-06.

So in reality, eventhough the 308 is still a better long range caliber, neither of the two calibers are able to take deer cleanly out to 700 yards, that's where you need a 7mm Mag. or 300 Mag.

P.S. A slow heavy bullet with reach out further than a fast light bullet!

-X3M
Unread 07-13-2009, 08:19 AM
Platinum Member

XM3,

I use expanding velocity (1800 fps) as a guage on deer. For elk I also look for about 40 lbft of penetrating momentum. If that bullet has enough speed to open and expand it has enough speed to penetrate a Texas whiteltail, IMHO.

I was looking at this the other day using looking at 115 gr nosler with a BC of .453 @ 3300 fps out of a 26" inch tube @ 3000 ft elevation (Montana base elevation) and I can get to 825 yds at over 1600 fps (842 lbft of enrgy)

The 3300 fps MV does sound a little optimisitc, but I think I can achieve it possibly one of several powders, including, RL17 and Retumbo.

In any case if we use 3200 fps out of a 26" barrel @1000 ft elevation we get to 725 yds with 1800 fps (889 KE). So IMHO, the 25-06 is capable of taking a deer @ 700 yds with a well placed shot.

If I get the opportunity with mine, I will report back. Will also be reporting on load development.

Best,

-MR

Last edited by MontanaRifleman; 07-13-2009 at 09:40 PM.
Unread 07-13-2009, 08:46 AM

If I wanted to get q used one and try to save some money, is there anything I should be looking for? I know someone mentioned having the barrel sized or something like that, but what else can a poor gun owner damage through lack of care? Would it even be worth it to look in to used items or is it better just to start fresh? Same thing with a scope.
Unread 07-13-2009, 01:40 PM
Silver Member

What about a 260?
Unread 07-13-2009, 07:41 PM
Platinum Member

the 308 pss is basically the same as a sendero. get a sendero , pick the caliber. shoot balistic tips. mount a 4.5-14 or 6.5-20 leup on it. adjust the trigger. if you get a caliber "bigger:" than a 25-06 put a vais on it. if you go over budget you only cry once.
Unread 07-13-2009, 10:05 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slafav View Post
If I wanted to get q used one and try to save some money, is there anything I should be looking for? I know someone mentioned having the barrel sized or something like that, but what else can a poor gun owner damage through lack of care? Would it even be worth it to look in to used items or is it better just to start fresh? Same thing with a scope.
There are any number of reasons a bore might be damaged or shot out and you can not see it just by eyeballing down the bore. You either trust the guy who is selling it to you, and/or if it's from a dealer or pawn, you might see if you can get it bore scoped by a good smith who knows what he's looking for. You will probably pay a fee for that. Where I live, most guys are honest and it's not hard to get in touch with them if there are any issues. If the dealer wont let you get it bore scoped, then it's decision time. On gunbroker.com, you can find NIB rifles, but usually for new prices. But at least you know what you are getting. If I was buying a used rifle from a dealer or a pawn, I wouldn't pat anything near the market value for it unless they let me get it bore scoped. I would just tell them flat out, if I dont know what condition that bore is in, and I may be looking at a rebarrel, and that will cost about $600, so I will give you $XXX for the rifle. Keep in mind, if you get a custom rebarrel you are getting a much better barrel. Down side is more cost and wait time.

Sooo... dont be in a hurry. Shop around, check the ads and wait for a good deal. Also, there are a lot of good cartridges. The 308 is a good cartridge, but it will never be on my wish list as long as there is a 300 WSM. That's just me. I have nothing against the 308, but neither does it appeal to me. Starting with the 25-06 and working up there are a lot of great cartridges, but only so many in the Sendero offering. Sometimes you can find a custom barreled Sendero on gunbroker, or even here. The Sendero isn't the only good shooting rifle either, but IMO, they are probably the best out of the box, no need to mess with, LR platform available.

So read, read and read, and go shoot with your friends down there and read some more, until YOU know what YOU want. Dont let us tell you what you need and want.

-MR