Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

Totally Over My Head

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-12-2009, 07:01 PM

Re: Totally Over My Head

When you guys talk about the difference in cost between calibers, how much are you talking about. Availability aside, which I know is a huge factor that I have to do the research on personally, what's the difference in cost between calibers. I know that's a complex question, but a ball park answer is all I need.
Old 07-12-2009, 07:44 PM
Platinum Member

go to a ammo dealer and price them out yourself. It all depends on how much you will shoot. $3 per shot isn't bad if you only shoot 20 per year. But if you shoot 500 rounds per year it adds up in a hurry! All premium ammo is fairly spendy, but it is more so for the magnum cals. MidwayUSA — Shooting Supplies, Reloading, Gunsmithing, Hunting, Ammunition, Gun Parts & Rifle Scopes
Old 07-12-2009, 08:25 PM

Will do!
Old 07-12-2009, 09:38 PM
Silver Member

i live in san antonio as well and Durys is about the best place to look at long range rifles. You are also not to far from Hill Country Rifle in south New Braunfels and Rifles Inc in Pleasanton. As far as public ranges go there is central texas silhoutte club in new braunfels that you can practice to 550 yards. Send me a pm with your number if you would like to talk.
Phillip
Old 07-12-2009, 09:56 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by britz View Post
It all depends on how much you will shoot. $3 per shot isn't bad if you only shoot 20 per year. But if you shoot 500 rounds per year it adds up in a hurry! All premium ammo is fairly spendy, but it is more so for the magnum cals.
Britz is right, and once you start shooting long range you will more than likely get addicted to it, which means you will be shooting alot. We shoot about 50-100 rounds every month when we get together, that's 100 in one day, I don't think you would be very happy with a magnum after that.

There is a F-Class shoot once a month in New Braunfels at Central Texas Silouhette Association - CTSA (about 30 miles from you) that I go to, it's fun and you can learn more in a couple of matches there than you can learn in about 2-3 months on your own, and by the way, you will meet many friendly and knowledgeble guys there. The first time I went there I just wanted to watch, they asked if I brought a rifle and I said no, before I knew it they had me shooting 550 yard match behind a full custom .223, after that, I was hooked!

I still say stay away from magnums at this point. If you happen to like F-Class you can shoot in F-TR which means you will be competing against 308 and 223, if you have a magnum, you will be placed in open class, which can be very humblling experience, specially because you will be competing against 6.5-47 Lapua's, 6 Dashers, 6BRX's, 260's, and of course the 6.5-284 Norma's.

If you get a 308, I am set up to reload for 308. You can come over one day and I will walk you through the reloading process and help you work up loads for your rifle, then you can load up 100 or so rounds in about an hour or two with my equipment and have enough to practice with for at least a month. I have done this for a few of my friends before they could save up enough to buy their own reloading equipment and learned enough to know what equipment they wanted.

Hope this helps.

-X3M

Last edited by X3MHunter; 07-12-2009 at 10:16 PM.
Old 07-12-2009, 10:05 PM

I can't tell you guys how impressed I am at your generosity. I am working very hard to convince my boss to let me off for the 19th and am getting together as much as I can for my first rifle. You guys have been more than helpful and I can't thank you enough!
Old 07-13-2009, 12:28 AM
Platinum Member

Slafav,

Here's something you might think about. I just put some money down on a used Sendero 25-06 yesterday for a good price. I haven't fired it yet, but it should be one sweet shooting rifle, capable of taking deer to 700 yds and yotes to 1K. Now this is my secondary plinking rifle. My philosophy still is.... decide exactly what you want to do and then figure out what cartridge you need to do it with and get it. If you can handle a mag 2 years from now, then you can handle a mag now. If you like the idea of shooting something lighter, there are quite a few good optoins and an 8 1/2 lb Sendero 25-06 is a great way to hunt deer to 700 yds and shoot to 1k plus. It will give you about the same reach as a 308 with a little more zip.

If you want to shoot 100 rounds per outing like X3M and friends, that will get spendy and you will deifnitely want a barrel friendly cartridge. You will also probably want two rifles so you can shoot one while the other is getting a new barrel which will be a long wait with a good smith.

Welcome to a fun and addicting sport, Sounds lioke there's a lot of good guys near you to get you going.

-MR

BTW, after reading this, it might sound like I'm offering you this rifle which wasn't my intent. I'll be selfish and hold on to this one... always wanted a 25-06

Last edited by MontanaRifleman; 07-13-2009 at 01:57 AM.