Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

Totally Over My Head

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-09-2009, 09:42 AM

Re: Totally Over My Head

Another question. Is it better to lay down the money in the beginning while learning the basics of drop, wind, etc or should I stay cheap in the beginning and swap out parts as I go along? I know in sports like golf (no comparison to shooting) it is always best to start out with the best stuff you can afford because it is such an equipment dependent activity. Is shooting the same?
Old 07-09-2009, 10:27 AM
Silver Member

+ 1 for the 270 WSM. A super caliber. The 270 Win is also good.

Check it out. Get some ballistic tables that show bullet drop, bullet velocity at various distances and foot pounds of energy at various distances. Most tables are reasonaably close. Nosler typically shows velocity a bit on the high side though.

I would save my money and buy good eqp as I could if I thought I was going to use it for an extended period of time. If this shooting activity is likely to be short lived you may do better to get more reasonably priced eqp.

According to data from most 270WSM users you should get a barrel life of 1000 to 1200 (depending on how hot you load them) which would give you 10 to 12 years of shooting if you shot 100 rounds a year. Replacing a barrel will cost from $550 to $650 depending on barrel and gunsmith....... not that big of a deal for most who like to shoot.......$55 to $65 per year. A 270 Win will likely give a much longer barrel life than the WSM.

Last edited by Alfred Crouch; 07-09-2009 at 11:05 AM.
Old 07-09-2009, 11:29 AM
Platinum Member

Welcome to LRH!
You mentioned the possibility of stretching the yardage "a bit" out to 800-900 yards. That is a pretty tall order. I'm fairly new to the long range game, having only been serious for about 5 years, and I am just now reaching out beyond 600 yards. You start getting out beyond there and wind drift can become a major factor, as well as exact ranging and knowing the actual trajectory of your bullet, not just what the charts say. A good rangefinder is a must to start with.
Shooting a bullet with a high ballistic coefficient such as a Berger VLD will help to minimize wind drift and maximize retained velocity and thus energy at longer ranges. Unfortunately, that will involve handloading. I would suggest getting a 7mm Remington Magnum and practicing with it out to 400-500 yards with factory ammo and a ballistic reticle scope like the Burris or Nikon or a couple others. Then if you think you want to stretch it out farther, you can get into handloading and try the 168 gr Berger VLD bullet. It would probably be a good idea at that point to upgrade to a scope with reliable adjustable elevation and windage turrets. That is similar to the path I have taken, I'm sure you will get plenty more input.

Have a great day!

Sam

NRA Life Member
Old 07-09-2009, 10:56 PM
Silver Member

Is rifle wieght an issue? If not I would take a hard look at something like a remington sendero. A few different manufacturers make similar rifles, browning makes a m1000 eclipse, tikka makes a tactical, Kimber makes a few tactical rifles. If you go with a sendero you can get a 300rum which has ballistics nearing some of the larger wildcat calibers.

A 308 will be fine (game out to 400ish and targets to 1000), there are many very accurate factory loads developed for the 308, starting with Federal gold metal match. Black Hills also has a good load.
Old 07-10-2009, 09:33 AM

Rifle weight isn't an issue. I don't mind building muscle as I walk, and I don't carry the heavy packs that some other guys do. I don't think I am visualizing my ranges right, because the thought of 400 yrds isn't that bad. Now my first job is to measure it out and see the reality of my thinking.
Old 07-10-2009, 10:36 AM
Silver Member

I saw a new Savage Tactical model with a scope for $1100.00 in 308 with a muzzle brake.

This rifle is supposed to really shoot from the reports I have heard. 308 rifles are one of the most available rounds out there with many different bullet styles and weights.

If you don't reload stay away from any of the WSM cartridges. They are really expensive and hard to find in little towns if you run out of ammo.

308 ammo is always on sale some place and pretty hard to beat out to 400 yards.
Old 07-10-2009, 11:11 AM
Platinum Member

The Sendero would be a great factory LR rifle. Most are tack drivers. I like the original SF vs the newer SFII. The newer ones have a wider beavertail forearm and a wide palm swell that doesn't fit me very well. They come in 264 WM, 7 RM, 7 RUM, 300 WM and 300 RUM. The RUMS will get about 200-300 fps more than the other mags and burn out a little quicker. Figure a 1000 rounds for barrel life on the RUMS, maybe a little more if you dont run them too hot and give the barrel a good brak-in and Gun Juice treatment. The older ones also come in a few other cals like 25-06.

EDIT: You could run a mild load in the RUMs and get better performanc than the other mags and probably get descent barrel life.

You should be able to find a used one for less than a $1000 if you look around. It's best to buy from the original owner, but pawn shops can be a good place to find one for a good price. Offer them a rcok bottom cash price and see what they say. Thing is, if you buy used from a pawn shop or dealer, you dont know how many rounds are down the tube already. I would use that as a bargaining chip. It would be a little bit of a gamble. You could also leave a deposit on it and take it to a smith to bore scope it and give you an evaluation of the bore.

The Sendero 700 action is a solid action for a later build and the HS aluminum bedded stock is a great stock. So it's a great plattform for a future build if and when you burn your barrel out. A great LR starter rifle.

-MR

Last edited by MontanaRifleman; 07-10-2009 at 11:16 AM.