Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

Totally Over My Head

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-08-2009, 12:57 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Totally Over My Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slafav View Post
What if I wanted to push the max distance out a bit? Say, 800 -900 yards, but not need it to be necessarily lethal? Would that be possible?
Sure would. Lots of folks out there using a 308 for 1000yd matches all the time. I don't think anyone will advise you to shoot at big game at the above distances though.
Old 07-08-2009, 01:01 PM
Platinum Member

There is a .308 Rem 700 PSS for sale in the Classifieds on this site. I think they want $750 for it and have shot a sub 1/2moa group with it.

AJ

My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives
Old 07-08-2009, 01:42 PM
Platinum Member

If you want to shoot out to 800-900 yds with any sort of accuracy, you will need to handload. You will also need above average glass.

For an out of the box accurate rifle and cartridge, I would recommend a Tikka in 270 WSM. It will have better ballistics and *possibly* better accuracy (can hear the .308 guys already ) Accuracy is really more of a rifle/load combination than cartridge. You might get a good or better shooting rifle off the rack and it may take some experimentation with different loads to find the good one for that rifle.

Good shooting,

-MR
Old 07-08-2009, 01:48 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaRifleman View Post
If you want to shoot out to 800-900 yds with any sort of accuracy, you will need to handload. You will also need above average glass.

Not necessarily, I worked with a 300Win mag that was an absolute tack driver with factory ammo (we tried 4 different types and 2 shot real well and 2 were average). With all the different 308 ammo available, I wouldn't be surprised if sub 1moa results could be found off the shelf if you had a good rifle. I've found that good rifles shoot just about everything pretty well.

I agree that for 800-900yd results, handloading is a more gauranteed approach but you still need a good rifle. I also agree, there are easier ways to shoot that far than with a 308, but with good barrel life and off the shelf ammo, the 308 is very tough to beat.

AJ

My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives
Old 07-08-2009, 01:52 PM

Any suggestions on rifle makers, or do they all even out in some way? I may search the classifieds, but I'm thinking it may take a little time to get the money together for my rifle.
Old 07-08-2009, 02:06 PM
Platinum Member

[QUOTE]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ Peacock View Post
Not necessarily, I worked with a 300Win mag that was an absolute tack driver with factory ammo (we tried 4 different types and 2 shot real well and 2 were average).
I wont argue with that... but... that is probably almost as rare as drawing a sheep tag in Montana.

Quote:
With all the different 308 ammo available, I wouldn't be surprised if sub 1moa results could be found off the shelf if you had a good rifle. I've found that good rifles shoot just about everything pretty well.
I would think the same could be said for availble 270 WSM ammo, or very close... and yeah, a good shooting rifle is a requisite which I have heard and read nothing but good reports with Tikka 270 WSM's.

Quote:
I agree that for 800-900yd results, handloading is a more gauranteed approach but you still need a good rifle. I also agree, there are easier ways to shoot that far than with a 308, but with good barrel life and off the shelf ammo, the 308 is very tough to beat.

AJ
Hard to argue with the barrel life of a 308... but I just like the zippier cartridges
Old 07-08-2009, 02:21 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slafav View Post
... or do they all even out in some way?
A few offer accuracy guarantees, but they can be very tough to collect on. I am currently having issues with my "guaranteed" Sako. I sent the rifle to them with 2-4 MOA bullet riddled targets and they "clean" the rifle and send it back with a computer generated target (no real bullet holes) supposidly showing a .9 MOA group and then say this rifle is fine

I would say that Rem Senderos probably have the best out of the box accuracy rep, followed closely by Savage and Tikka. Howa's and Vanguards (made by Howa) are also usually very good. Sub MOA Vanguards actually come with a target with real bullet holes.

Most factory rifles these days are good shooters, some maybe a little better than others, but you will occasionally run into a lemon. Also, the more powerful the cartridge, the more you want to look at the quality of stock the rifle comes with.

Dont be in a hurry to get one. Do a lot of reading in this forum and others and you will get a good feel for what's out there. You can sometimes get a good deal on gunbroker.com, or right here, or in your local classifieds. I found a tack driving Sendero 300 RUM in my local classifieds.

-MR