Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

Totally Over My Head

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-22-2009, 03:09 PM
Silver Member

Re: Totally Over My Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slafav View Post
Is there a site or info for the shoot somewhere?

Here's the site, you can go to the calendar and see when they are having the next F-Class shoot.
CTSA - Home Page - Central Texas Silueta Association

Here's August's events:
Aug. 1—F Class Rifle Match
Aug. 2—NRA Rifle Silhouette—Small Bore and High Power Rifle
Aug. 8-9—IHMSA Pistol Silhouette—SB, FP and Big Bore; NRA Long Range Cowboy Rifle Silhouette
August 15—Black Powder Cartridge Rifle Silhouette
August 16—STMTC High Power Match
Aug. 23—NRA Hunters Pistol, Small Bore Hunters Pistol & Cowboy Lever Action Silhouette, Small Bore and Pistol Cartridges only.

-X3M

Last edited by X3MHunter; 07-23-2009 at 09:32 PM.
Old 07-22-2009, 04:48 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwaites View Post
I've had a friend whose Burris Sig rings failed on his .338 RUM, but haven't heard of problems on .308's.

Bill
My experience is the opposite of yours. I have a friend with a 338Edge. His Burris Sig Rings are rock solid.

Regardless of my friends experience, I would opt for a heavier/stronger ring/base combination on a heavy recoiling rifle.

so I guess I'm agreeing with you Bill. Burris Signature Rings and bases on 'standard' cartridges and heavier/stronger rings on the magnums/heavy recoil cartridges.
Old 07-22-2009, 06:15 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by .280fan View Post
My experience is the opposite of yours. I have a friend with a 338Edge. His Burris Sig Rings are rock solid.

Regardless of my friends experience, I would opt for a heavier/stronger ring/base combination on a heavy recoiling rifle.

so I guess I'm agreeing with you Bill. Burris Signature Rings and bases on 'standard' cartridges and heavier/stronger rings on the magnums/heavy recoil cartridges.
My friends were too, for about 100 rounds, then he noticed that all of a sudden everything was 3-4 inches high at 200. OOPS! Serious slippage. He torqued them back to spec, then taped so he could see movement, and within 20 rounds he had about 1/64 of movement, and by 50 rounds was back 3-4" high again. Needless to say, they are on a 22-250 now, and the .338 rings have been upgraded significantly.

I wonder if the scope finish plays any part?

Bill

The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.

Thomas Jefferson

http://waitesandbalances.blogspot.com/
Old 07-22-2009, 08:04 PM
Silver Member

I also like the S&K scope mounts and rings. They are light, strong, and look very nice. I use them on my 300 Win. Mag. and have never seen any shift in point of impact.

While these are 0 MOA slant, my 300 WM can get out to 1000 with my Leupold 30mm LR scope without any problems.

-X3M
Old 07-22-2009, 09:12 PM
Platinum Member

These are great rings on a 300mag, but unless the scope has 100moa of adjustment in it, these would not do for a 308 where the intention is to shoot 1k.

Quote:
Originally Posted by X3MHunter View Post
I also like the S&K scope mounts and rings. They are light, strong, and look very nice. I use them on my 300 Win. Mag. and have never seen any shift in point of impact.

While these are 0 MOA slant, my 300 WM can get out to 1000 with my Leupold 30mm LR scope without any problems.

-X3M
Old 07-23-2009, 09:30 PM
Silver Member

Super Sniper Scopes have 150 MOA of elevation, that'll get you waaaaaay over there!

www.supersniper.com

-X3M
Old 07-23-2009, 11:38 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by X3MHunter View Post
Well, since you guys are talking about barrel life, tell me which one of the two: 7 WSM or 300 WSM has better barrel life than the 308. Heck, I'll make it easy on you guys, tell me ANY caliber that has better barrel life than the 308 that can be accurate out to 1000 yards, that is fun and cheap to shoot, that ammo is available anywhere ammo is sold, and that factory match ammo is available for.

Well, looks like we've been going on for a while arguing about what caliber would work the best for Slafav. I think it's time for Slafav to tell us what ge has gathered from all of this and what he thinks about calibers and rifles at this point.

X3M
OK, been a little busy last couple of days which is a good thing.... Soooo... barrel life... There's no debate that the 308 has a great barrel life. That's because it doesn't use a lot of powder which means it doesn't have great velocity which means it's not going to have as much reach down range as a cartridge that does have higher velocities and burns more powdwer and has shorter barrel lifes. Everything is a trade off. The question is were does one's priorities lie? The 300 WSM has very good barrel life and from what I've read up to 4000 plus rounds, based on a report of a BR shooter win a competition with one with 4000 plus rounds down the tube. For most members in this forum, that kind of barrel life would last a lifetime of shooting from one rifle.

BTW Slafav, this is not some attempt to sway your decision. You like the 308 so go for it, use it well and be happy with it. It is a good cartridge. I am just adressing some issues that I think have been over emphasized for whomever may be reading.

OK... next thing that keeps coming up is cost.... The 308 is less expensive to shoot.

Let's look at the costs.

Cost of rifle... same....$1000-$1500
Cost of scope... same....$600-$1500
Cost of good rings and bases... same... $200-$300
Cost of bi-pod... same.... $100
Cost of range finder... same... $600-$1000
Cost of misc other stuff... same....

Cost of factrory ammo....

I'm guessing A premium bullet in a premium load is probably the choice for LRH shooting. So, when checking Midway prices and availablity for apples vs apples, the first thing I looked for was Fed Premium 180 AB's. there was no offering for that bullet/load in the 308 (which would be my first slection for trial in factory a 308 cal cartridge). So, I looked at the Fed Prem 180 Speer Trophy Bonded tip.... 308 - $43.79.... 300 WSM - $49.99. That's about a 12% price difference for about a 30-40% effective range difference. So c'mon guys, save it with the cost savings, OK.

Which brings me to the next cost break down....

Reloading... which is the way any SERIOUS long ranger/BR/F class shooter is going to go...

Reloading equipment and dies, etc. ... $1000 minimum
Bullets... same
Primers... same
Powder... 45 gr vs 65gr of powder which works out very roughly to about $.10 per round difference (compared to performance difference)
Brass... Apples to apples again 100 cases of Norma... 308 - 498.99... 300 WSM - $109.99

Where is the big cost savings???

Now, you can get Lapua in 308 and that is a good thing, and it only costs $79. Thats a nice plus for the 308.

Anyway... overall cost saving when buying a 308... less than 5%, maybe closer to 2%.. unless you include barrel changes... every 4000 for the 300 WSM and every ??? for the 308....

I could go on... but hopefully you get it.... In my book you get more LR bang for the buck with the 300 WSM

Good shooting

-MR

Last edited by MontanaRifleman; 07-23-2009 at 11:42 PM.