Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

Total long range beginner

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-02-2006, 03:58 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Total long range beginner

[ QUOTE ]
I would prefer you didn't contact Kirby (Fifty). He is currently working on a project for us and he doesn't need anymore work to slow him down .

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL LOL [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] Bill let's hope Kirby doesn't read this post...LOL

-----------------------------
HEBREWS 13:8
Jesus Christ the same yesterday, and to day, and for ever.

Our Lord Jesus said that as it was in the days of Noah and
also as it was in the days of Lot so it shall be in the days...
It's happening again!!! God sent to us His prophet, and His Word
to this generation and we once more are rejecting it as was prophesied!!!

---> As promised, God Sent His Prophet to us!
Old 06-02-2006, 04:33 PM

Thanks for the advice about the Savage. I like Savage Arms. Also, has anyone shot or used a Sako TRG-22? Its similiar to the savage and they have it in .308. There was an article in Shotgun News a while back that gave them lots of praise. I really like the look of the tactical shotguns. I'm not sure if I'm ready for the fancy customs yet... [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 06-02-2006, 04:46 PM
Platinum Member

I'd only leave a Savage for my grandkid if it were top class fit and finished, with a really great stock, was a great shooter.....................And the bolt fluted [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Why not something w/the Savage action, APS barrel in something like 6mm Dasher? Seems to me that would cover all bases. Plus the current promotion on the carbon wrapped barrels is hard to beat!

However, it doesn't solve lack of reloading capability. But apartment living didn't keep me from reloading. I built a gizmo 40 years ago that allowed me to reload on the kitchen table (read trailer furniture) with RCBS Jr. I still use it.

Also the savage or, whats the price of a new REM action, 350 or so, would allow for reloading investment which isn't all that much and still have $ for good glass and components plus a night or 2 on the town.
Old 06-02-2006, 09:24 PM
Gold Member

[ QUOTE ]
I'm not sure about long range shooting, but in most sports and hobbies at 20 your starting too late to get good.

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] We got us a comedian here! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 06-02-2006, 10:11 PM
Silver Member

Do what I did and I think you'll be pleased. I bought a Savage rifle from Bill Bailey. Put a tactical bolt knob, a SSS trigger, Farrel base, Burris Extreme tactical rings, a Super Sniper scope, a Choate Sniper stock for tactical shooting and a Sharpshooter Centerfire stock for LR coyote and p-dog hunting, and a Douglas barrel on it. Total price: $1480 (including BOTH stocks). Does it shoot? 1/4 to a third MOA on paper out to 500 and recently matched shot for shot with several $3000 plus rigs at Badlands out to 1K. Very versatile, very inexpensive and built just the way I want it. I'm telling ya, you won't regret it.

By the way, I started doing this at 40 and I happen to think that I'm not too bad at it [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 06-03-2006, 05:24 AM
Platinum Member

Lots of different kinds of 1000 yd competitions. Designing a competition gun requires some knoweldge of which type of competition you want to get involved in. Before you spend a truck load of money you might visit a few different types of competitions and see which ones are to your liking.
Old 06-03-2006, 09:34 AM
Gold Member

The local gun shop has a nice 308 up for sale

http://www.gunsamerica.com/guns/976730298.htm