Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

Torque

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-22-2006, 10:18 AM

Torque

What is the recommendation for torquing scope rings, bases, the gun stock to action screws etc? What inch pounds do you torque the various screws at? What make of torque wrench and where do recommend to buying them?
Old 06-22-2006, 01:53 PM
Silver Member

Re: Torque

[ QUOTE ]
What is the recommendation for torquing scope rings, bases, the gun stock to action screws etc? What inch pounds do you torque the various screws at? What make of torque wrench and where do recommend to buying them?

[/ QUOTE ]
I use a Seekonk from Brownell's, due to it's ability to torque to various settings.http://www.brownells.com/aspx/ns/store/P...E+TORQUE+WRENCH

Torque specs will vary with screw size, type and the work material. Manufacturers of the various items will normally have and publish recommended torque values. I did find, upon first getting my torque wrench, that I had been over-torquing almost everything . . .

The action screws will usually be torqued between 40 inch pounds and 65 inch pounds. The higher readings are ONLY for heavy duty, aftermarket triggerguards, like Badger. Put 65 on an aluminum Remington floorplate and it'll likely snap. The stock material can be of concern, the numbers above would apply to solidly glass-bedded or pillar bedded stocks.

The bases normally use 6-48 screws and will often be torqued to 10 to 15 inch pounds. Again, the higher torque values will apply to heavier duty equipment.

Rings secure to bases by various methods. If using clamp-type rings and Picatinney (M1913) bases, those clamp screws will run from 35 to 65 inch pounds. There is so much variation here, it would be important to consult the maker.

Ring screws vary, too, but most of the better makers use 10-15, up 20 inch pounds. On correctly lapped rings and the average hunting rifle, it is doubtful that more than 10-12 in-lb would be necessary.

The beatings will continue until morale improves.
Old 06-22-2006, 07:11 PM

Thank you Ed I will put the info to good use. Again thanks
Old 06-23-2006, 01:12 AM

The Seecock is the best way to go, but if you don't want to shell out $160, you can get a 20 lp/in to 100 lp/in unit from
HF for about $30. It works much better than guesstimating. Not as accurate as the Seekonk, but probably good enough.

Old 06-23-2006, 08:38 AM
Silver Member

I agree, B1G_BORE, the Seekonk is sort of overkill and if the tool only sees occasional use, there are other choices that will serve.

Another option is that, if you are only doing specific fasteners, there are T-handled "snapover" style torque wrenches that are pre-set to certain values out there too.

The beatings will continue until morale improves.
Old 06-23-2006, 08:30 PM
Platinum Member

B1G_BORE,
Thanks, I had made up my mind I would start saving the $160.00 bucks and here you come to make my day. Thanks!

-----------------------------
HEBREWS 13:8
Jesus Christ the same yesterday, and to day, and for ever.

Our Lord Jesus said that as it was in the days of Noah and
also as it was in the days of Lot so it shall be in the days...
It's happening again!!! God sent to us His prophet, and His Word
to this generation and we once more are rejecting it as was prophesied!!!

---> As promised, God Sent His Prophet to us!
Old 07-28-2006, 12:20 AM

Here is a better torque wrench for about $60 HERE

Thanks to W for pointing this out.
http://www.snipertools.com/