Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

Too much scope?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-05-2012, 01:47 PM
Bronze Member

Re: Too much scope?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nimrod View Post
I can get rock solid with a 20X on a 7.5 pound rifle over my pack or on a bipod either one. I think it's a matter of practice and familiarity with your equipment.

If moose are on the plate I might look at one of the .30 calibers but then again I like the .270 calibers too. The right bullet in the right place is the most important IMHO.

Bob
Bob,

I'm impressed. I shoot F-T/R at 600 yards about twice a month with a 16# rifle and an 8.5x25 scope. The last time I checked I had a pulse, as most human beings do. Maybe I better up my blood pressure medication and get some more trigger time. Thanks for the hint.

Regards,

walkinhorseman
Old 08-05-2012, 05:18 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkinhorseman View Post
Bob,

I'm impressed. I shoot F-T/R at 600 yards about twice a month with a 16# rifle and an 8.5x25 scope. The last time I checked I had a pulse, as most human beings do. Maybe I better up my blood pressure medication and get some more trigger time. Thanks for the hint.

Regards,

walkinhorseman
I don't squeeze on my rifle too hard, take my BP meds and try not to drink too much coffee. I don't shoot competition and I don't get in any hurry to break the trigger. I can notice my pulse but the movement is so slight it's not a problem. A 12X scope or a 3X for that matter won't make your pulse have any less effect on the rifle, the movement is still there, unchanged, it's just harder to see. I prefer the higher magnification for more precise aiming.

Bob
Old 08-05-2012, 11:24 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPBR View Post
Thanks for the replies.

I suppose I should have pointed out that I'm not new to hunting and shooting...just new to 'long range' hunting with high powered optics and there seemed to be a alot of knowledgeable folks on this forum that I was hoping to share information with.

I shoot a lot and have done most of my hunting the last several years with a williams peep sight and a 4 power scope inside of 100 yards, so i was hoping for some information from people experienced with scopes in the 6.5-20x50 range and their viability in the field together with a good setup for them.

Someone replied that a 6.5-20x50 scope may be an unblanced on a 7.5lb sporter rifle and this was my main concern with the scope i just bought. I am also considering a Sendaro SF II in 7mm mag instead of the 270 wsm sporter however the sendaro is quite cumbersome with the 26 inch barrel...I'd much prefer a 24 inch pipe on a 7 to 7.5lb rifle rifle with a bipod if it's viable.

All comments appreciated...got the scope already now just need the rifle for it!
2" of barrel is not going to make the sendero more cumbersome in the field than the 24" sporter.

Generally though the heavier rifle with the longer barrel, all else being equal is going to be more accurate and give you higher velocities and thus more energy on target down range.

That is why you will see very few of us carrying anything on a Long Range Hunt with shorter than a 26" bbl or less than an 8lbs rifle.

You can get by with about anything out to 600yds, but from there on out life gets a lot more complicated.

LR is simply a different game.
Old 08-21-2012, 07:33 AM
Gold Member

"A 12X scope or a 3X for that matter won't make your pulse have any less effect on the rifle, the movement is still there, unchanged, it's just harder to see."
++++++++1............All sorts of movement show up in high magnification. You can not correct or compensate for what you can't see.