Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

Too much scope?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-04-2012, 01:41 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Too much scope?

Placement, Placement, Placement!

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing"

http://www.longrangehunting.com/foru...4-build-83765/ - Build Thread

http://www.longrangehunting.com/foru...-284-a-124876/ - Gun Pictures/Ongoing Shooting Thread
Old 08-04-2012, 02:09 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigngreen View Post
Our group of guys, most years kill between 10 and 15% of the elk killed in a large unit in MT, most die to a 270 cal or smaller. My 270 WSM shoots a .650+ BC bullet with over .300 section density over 3000fps easy, the bull I smoked this year at 865 was hit with over 1600ft lbs of energy at 2120fps, one bullet cleaned out a large path through the liver and one lung I shot him again even though it was not needed through the lower shoulder and the bullet cleaned another path clean through him. At worst that's right with a 7mag with the best bullets it can shoot so just how is that inadequate????
The only elk that was lost last year was shot with the largest cal an 8mm mag. and the most shot up elk I've seen was done with a 338 Win but those had ZERO to do with the cal they were shooting!!!!
Not everyone is capable of placing every shot within .5 MOA of their aim point every time or even consistently.

Ballistically the .270 is simply inferior to the 7mag and other calibers I recommded.

Yes you can kill an elephant with a .243 if the bullet is placed in exactly the right spot with enough energy to get there.

I don't know this guy or most who post here so I'm going to give the best recommendation I can for the "average guy" which is going to be considerably different from what will work for a very experienced guy who can place those shots and has the discipline to say "no" when everything is not exactly right.

There are exceptions to every rule, but they do not disprove the rule.

Remember too this is the "Basics Starting Out" forum and with that in mind usually it is the new people to the sport whom we are trying to help, not folks who have been doing it for 10-20-30 years.

Last edited by WildRose; 08-04-2012 at 02:56 PM.
Old 08-04-2012, 03:10 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
Not everyone is capable of placing every shot within .5 MOA of their aim point every time or even consistently.

Ballistically the .270 is simply inferior to the 7mag and other calibers I recommded.

Yes you can kill an elephant with a .243 if the bullet is placed in exactly the right spot with enough energy to get there.

I don't know this guy or most who post here so I'm going to give the best recommendation I can for the "average guy" which is going to be considerably different from what will work for a very experienced guy who can place those shots and has the discipline to say "no" when everything is not exactly right.

There are exceptions to every rule, but they do not disprove the rule.

Remember too this is the "Basics Starting Out" forum and with that in mind usually it is the new people to the sport whom we are trying to help, not folks who have been doing it for 10-20-30 years.
Have you checked out the ballistics of the 270wsm shooting a 165grain Matrix bullet?
Old 08-04-2012, 04:31 PM
Bronze Member

Big Green makes a valid point that takes this thread, kind of, of course. The key point is that all of the technology that can be purchased will not replace skill. Shot placement and bullet construction are the key to clean quick humane kills. Know your capability and know your limitations. You will learn these through trigger time, not under clinical conditions. You must also have the discipline and ethics to ignore the T-factor when it drives you to attempt a shot beyond your demonstrated skill level. My point about scope selection is to select an optic that compliments the man-machine interface and does not detract from it, therefore limiting your performance.
Old 08-04-2012, 05:36 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebark View Post
Have you checked out the ballistics of the 270wsm shooting a 165grain Matrix bullet?
Yes and it's definitely doing well with that particular bullet.

Compare that though to the 7's and 30's shooting the high BC bullets in their calibers and you're right back to the same superiority.

There's just nothing you can do with the .270 you can't do better with a 7mm or 7.62.
Old 08-05-2012, 06:42 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkinhorseman View Post
[COLOR=black][FONT=Verdana]Steadying a scope over 12x from a field shooting position is difficult.
I can get rock solid with a 20X on a 7.5 pound rifle over my pack or on a bipod either one. I think it's a matter of practice and familiarity with your equipment.

If moose are on the plate I might look at one of the .30 calibers but then again I like the .270 calibers too. The right bullet in the right place is the most important IMHO.

Bob
Old 08-05-2012, 11:59 AM

Thanks for the replies.

I suppose I should have pointed out that I'm not new to hunting and shooting...just new to 'long range' hunting with high powered optics and there seemed to be a alot of knowledgeable folks on this forum that I was hoping to share information with.

I shoot a lot and have done most of my hunting the last several years with a williams peep sight and a 4 power scope inside of 100 yards, so i was hoping for some information from people experienced with scopes in the 6.5-20x50 range and their viability in the field together with a good setup for them.

Someone replied that a 6.5-20x50 scope may be an unblanced on a 7.5lb sporter rifle and this was my main concern with the scope i just bought. I am also considering a Sendaro SF II in 7mm mag instead of the 270 wsm sporter however the sendaro is quite cumbersome with the 26 inch barrel...I'd much prefer a 24 inch pipe on a 7 to 7.5lb rifle rifle with a bipod if it's viable.

All comments appreciated...got the scope already now just need the rifle for it!