Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

Too much scope?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-03-2012, 06:29 PM

Too much scope?

Hey all.

I'm just getting into the whole long range hunting thing.....I live way up in the North and did all my hunting the last several years with a pre-64 Model 94 30-30 in thick brush for big bucks. I also shoot a .308 with a 3-9x40 when hunting slightly more open areas or moose.

This season I'm going to be trying some different tactics and hunting wide open clear cuts on brush edges where I may need to make 200-600 yard shots. I also have a Western moose/elk hunt planned next year so have decided to setup a really true long range capable rig. This rifle will be for sitting and waiting for game to come to me.

I already purchased a Vortex Viper 6.5-20x50 PA...now I'm wondering if it is too much scope for practical hunting purposes. I'm just wanting to try something with higher magnification, practice long range shooting and be able to drop a deer at 500+ yards..I'm thinking of putting it on a Savage 14 American in 270 WSM...not a true 'long range' rifle, its a sporter but I like the blued wood look and its handy enough to hike with if I have too.

Thoughts or suggestions? Is this a good scope and rifle combo for my intended purposes?

Thanks
Old 08-03-2012, 07:48 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Too much scope?

I think the scope you have chosen is a good choice. With a magnification range from 6.5-20 it will handle both the up-close stuff to the waaaaaay over there stuff.

My one suggestion for you would be on cartridge choice. The 270wsm is a nice cartridge. .277 bullets do not have the best ballistic coefficients (BC) which will not be optimal as you become more proficient and want to shoot farther and farther.

My recommendation would be to go with the 300wsm (available in the same Savage 14 American Classic). There you get much better BCs.
Old 08-03-2012, 09:15 PM
Platinum Member

I shoot a Savage model 12 270 WSM as my primary long range rifle with a 4-16 Vortex HS LR, the 6.5-20 should work fine but it will depend on your terrain and the ranges you'll shoot.
The rifle your looking at if new will have a 1-10 twist, some early ones are 1-11, which will stabilize bullets like the 150 Berger and 165 Matrix which are great long range bullets, I've taken elk out to 865yards with mine and it was easily enough bullet and power. I was shooting mine last week at 1890 yards and doing very well, it has no ballistic issues what so ever
Old 08-03-2012, 10:26 PM
Platinum Member

Additionally, keep in mind that shooting offhand at higher magnification is just as difficult as long range shooting is itself. The higher the magnification, the more prone the scope and rifle is to shake. At least with me, anything above 10X requires some sort of rest for accurate shooting.

As my years increase, the magnification threshold at which stabilization is necessary, lessens.
Old 08-04-2012, 12:10 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPBR View Post
Hey all.

I'm just getting into the whole long range hunting thing.....I live way up in the North and did all my hunting the last several years with a pre-64 Model 94 30-30 in thick brush for big bucks. I also shoot a .308 with a 3-9x40 when hunting slightly more open areas or moose.

This season I'm going to be trying some different tactics and hunting wide open clear cuts on brush edges where I may need to make 200-600 yard shots. I also have a Western moose/elk hunt planned next year so have decided to setup a really true long range capable rig. This rifle will be for sitting and waiting for game to come to me.

I already purchased a Vortex Viper 6.5-20x50 PA...now I'm wondering if it is too much scope for practical hunting purposes. I'm just wanting to try something with higher magnification, practice long range shooting and be able to drop a deer at 500+ yards..I'm thinking of putting it on a Savage 14 American in 270 WSM...not a true 'long range' rifle, its a sporter but I like the blued wood look and its handy enough to hike with if I have too.

Thoughts or suggestions? Is this a good scope and rifle combo for my intended purposes?

Thanks
No it's not too much scope. As for choice of rifle, if Elk and Moose are really high on your list you need a lot more gun than the .270. I wouldn't start with anything less than a 7mm Rem mag, 300wsm, or 300wm and would really say that for those guys at long range you should really be looking more towards the 300wm and 300 RUM.

Sure you'll get guys claiming to kill everything from cape buffalo to grizzly bears at a thousand yards with a .243, but in the real world your highest likelihood from small calibers on big game such as those two species is to end up with a badly wounded animal that gets away or that takes a half dozen or more shots to bring them down dirt dead.
Old 08-04-2012, 09:05 AM
Bronze Member

I am going to offer an opinion that is different from most here. The scope for a hunting rifle should be in harmony with the format and purpose of the rifle. The size and weight of a hunting rifle scope should not unbalance the handling of the rifle. The first criteria that I see as essential is for a scope to mount as low as necessary to provide proper cheek weld with the stock. Because of this, better quality optics in the lower range variables with 40mm and less objective lenses are a better choice than 50mm and larger objective scopes. Putting a 6.5x20x50 on an 8 pound sporting rifle is not consistent with the with the purpose of the rifle. To really use scopes much larger than a 4.5x14x40 (0r 50) the rifle platform needs to be more in the weight class and format of a heavy sporter (9 or 10#) or a varmint style rifle. Steadying a scope over 12x from a field shooting position is difficult. I see a true long range rifle being a system that is heavy, of heavy caliber and being designed to be shot from rest. Those rifles would benefit from the extra power and not be encumbered by the extra weight and bulk of the larger scopes.
Hunting rifles should be purpose built in caliber, weight, and optic. My sporters weigh from 8# scoped to 10# scoped. I find that the light rifles are better balanced with a 2.5x8 and as the weight goes up the largest that I have on a hunting rifle is 4.5x14x44. I choose the rifle that best matches the style of hunting that I will be doing, whether that is a 21" barreled 338 Federal or a 26" barreled 338 Win Mag.
I would think that a 4.5x14 with a ballistic reticule or target elevation turret added would be a better fit for your rifle.
Old 08-04-2012, 01:35 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
No it's not too much scope. As for choice of rifle, if Elk and Moose are really high on your list you need a lot more gun than the .270. I wouldn't start with anything less than a 7mm Rem mag, 300wsm, or 300wm and would really say that for those guys at long range you should really be looking more towards the 300wm and 300 RUM.

Sure you'll get guys claiming to kill everything from cape buffalo to grizzly bears at a thousand yards with a .243, but in the real world your highest likelihood from small calibers on big game such as those two species is to end up with a badly wounded animal that gets away or that takes a half dozen or more shots to bring them down dirt dead.
Our group of guys, most years kill between 10 and 15% of the elk killed in a large unit in MT, most die to a 270 cal or smaller. My 270 WSM shoots a .650+ BC bullet with over .300 section density over 3000fps easy, the bull I smoked this year at 865 was hit with over 1600ft lbs of energy at 2120fps, one bullet cleaned out a large path through the liver and one lung I shot him again even though it was not needed through the lower shoulder and the bullet cleaned another path clean through him. At worst that's right with a 7mag with the best bullets it can shoot so just how is that inadequate????
The only elk that was lost last year was shot with the largest cal an 8mm mag. and the most shot up elk I've seen was done with a 338 Win but those had ZERO to do with the cal they were shooting!!!!