Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

Timney Trigger Issues

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-25-2012, 01:59 PM
Silver Member

Timney Trigger Issues

I am relatively new to Long range hunting. I have been slowly working on my first rifle over the last year. Its a Win Mod70 7mm rem mag. I had a local gunsmith install a timney trigger. Since then I have had several problems. First and foremost is after about three shots the rear pin in the trigger assembly backs out. This causes the spring that controls the bolt release pin to back out. So to my suprise after the third shot my bolt came completely out when I ejected the case. I tapped the pin back in place and reset the spring. But this has happened 3 times now. I called the gunsmith about the problem and he told me "Well thats the way it is". Needless to say I will be finding a new gun smith. The second problem is that since he installed that trigger my safety is now very stiff. To the point where I cannot get it to the middle position. I am a little frustrated. The rifle is shooting great but I just can't trust it at this point. Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Old 12-25-2012, 07:43 PM
Silver Member

Re: Timney Trigger Issues

OK maybe I should put it this way. Has anyone every had this problem with Timney triggers before? Should I go to a different trigger or is this an easy fix? It looks like it should be an easy fix but I am not sure how to go about it.
Old 12-25-2012, 08:09 PM
Platinum Member

I have had this problem before with a buddy's Ruger 77. The "gunsmith" of over twenty years screwed one up grinding on it and the second one you had to excerpt a large amount of force on it to get the safety off. When my buddy picked it up the hinged floor plate wouldn't shut all the way and the guy made him pay for both triggers! My buddy brought it to me and in 10 minutes I had it fixed, and trust me I'm no gunsmith. A very small amount of filing and swapping the action screws around fixed both problems.
Even the best gunsmiths can make mistakes but a good one should fix his mistakes, I have yet to meet one worth a crap!!!
The only time I have had a rifle worked on and was totally pleased was with Kirby building my rifle, and I don't know if he would call himself a gunsmith or gun builder. Either way, genius is gonna be in there somewhere.

The people trying to say the 2nd Amendment is outdated are probably the same folks that would say the same thing about the Bible.
Old 12-25-2012, 08:12 PM
Platinum Member

I have probably installed 30 or more of them and never had one issue. I would be getting a set of the instructions that came with it and go back over the installation to a "T". Or I would be calling Timney for advice on what you need to adjust.

For the safety issue, you might look at the stock interfering and needing inletted.

Jeff
Old 12-25-2012, 09:14 PM
Silver Member

Thanks for the replies. I guess I will be contacting Timney tomorrow. As far as the safety issue goes, it is not hitting the stock. The smith told me that he had to take the bolt apart to get the safety to work with this trigger. Not sure what he did.
Old 12-26-2012, 12:36 PM
Silver Member

Without seeing it I cant say for sure but most pins that are lose can easily be staked. I had one in a 70 that I also got back from a smith after a trigger job and it backed out. Staked it and it never moved again unless I wanted it to.
Old 12-26-2012, 12:51 PM
Gold Member

I just went through the safety issue you are discussing on a Timeny trigger. There is a detent pin for the safety position that actually travels out the side of the trigger housing opposite the safety lever. If there isn't enough clearance between the trigger housing and the stock for this pin to travel, the safety can't move freely.

The above may be hard to picture from my description, but remove the action from the stock and see if the safety moves freely. If it does, watch the trigger housing on the opposite side from the safety lever while moving the safety and you will see the small pin popping in and out of the housing. Make certain there is sufficient clearance inside the stock.

As others have mentioned, it can also be the safety lever itself dragging on the stock somewhere.

If the safety doesn't move freely with the action removed from the stock, call TImney.

Took me some time and choice words to figure this out on a Remington 700 a couple weeks ago.

In either case, find a new gunsmith!

NRA Life Member
ISRA Member
RMEF Member