Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

Tikka t3 lite

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-10-2008, 07:43 AM
Silver Member

Re: Tikka t3 lite

I have two (22-250 and 270 wsm) Tikka's and they are both shooters. I have not had any issues with anything except OAL when reloading, the mag limits OAL. The 270 wsm's recoil is not bad with a good after market pad.

It might not shoot 1,000 yards but it only cost $500.

Old 08-10-2008, 02:17 PM
Platinum Member

The front Tikka aluminum ring that is supplied by the factory on the T3 Lite model is the only ring that is pinned to the receiver and it will deform under recoil from 7mm RM, 300 WSM and similar calibers. The steel pin in the front ring that protrudes down into the top of the receiver will deform the back side of the front ring under recoil, and if you examine the back side of the front ring, you'll see the deformation. I observed it on both of my 7mm RMs and on two other 300 WSMs. My brother has seen it on a number of other T3 Lites that have passed through his gun shop.

If you replace the Tikka T3 rings with a stronger set of rings that fastens to the receiver with the four threaded holes in the top of the T3 Lite receiver, and install a Limbsaver recoil pad, then the T3 Lites are ready for battle. Talley rings are light and will get the job done if you're trying to minimize weight. There are a number of other options also, but other bases and rings will likely weigh a bit more than the one-piece Talleys.

Tikka T3 Lites generally shoot ~3/4 moa or better right out of the box with a little testing of loads, either reloads or factory rounds.

They've got an abnormal recoil lug which is installed into the stock rather than onto the barrelled action, so I'm not sure how many aftermarket stocks are available for the T3 Lite model. There was another thread on this Forum that discussed how to modify the recoil lug so the Tikka barrelled action could be bedded to an upgraded stock a while back. A thread search should pull it up.
Old 08-10-2008, 02:45 PM
Bronze Member

my T3 stianless lite 308 has Warne rings and a Limbsaver pad
it's a 1/2" shooter
but is very light and not really a "bench" gun, it's a hunting rifle..

I bought a Sako 75 Greywolf to replace the Tikka with and it wouldn't shoot as well as the Tikka... I know they use the same barrel

today we were out shooting and just for kicks I shot some surplus South African 308, I believe my bud said it was 158g, shot just over an inch off picnic table and no sandbags and a good 15-20 MPH wind...
Old 09-12-2008, 11:24 AM
Silver Member

I have a T3 Lite in 270 Win, yes it kicks a bit when shooting from a benchrest, but not to bad IMHO. Its' recoil is much like my M700 KS Mountian Rifle in 280 Rem. Like lots of "Lite" rifles the initial recoil is sharp, but do to their lite weight they do not develope a lot of inertial force to go with that initial punch.
Compared to a 8 to 10 lb rifle in any of the 300 Mags, when you drop the hammer on one of puppies that energy has to go somewhere and it wants to "keep going" once put into motion.
Sometimes the laws of physics hurt...
How's that for putting lipstick on a pig?

Snohomish Co. Washington
NRA Life Member
Old 09-12-2008, 04:10 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopaka81 View Post
Sometimes the laws of physics hurt...
How's that for putting lipstick on a pig?
I've heard that saying not too long ago

I really enjoy my 22-250 T-3 Lite. Great hunting rifles. If you have access to that Sendero for a close cost, I'd go that route IMO.