Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

Techniques, and help with them

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-02-2008, 12:06 PM
Silver Member

Re: Techniques, and help with them

I re-read the "Marksmanship Basics" discussions all the time. There is a wealth of knowledge there! They help me a ton.
Like Limbic suggested, lots of dry firing practice and I try to shoot my .22LR everyday I can. Some days I only get in about 50 rds. others I'll shoot for a couple hours. Every shot I go through a mantra. It's super relaxing.
Lately I've been grouse hunting a lot. I feel that helps a bunch to, natural point of aim and all.
Old 10-02-2008, 04:14 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Limbic View Post
Do not reload yet. I do have 13-25 Harris bipod (grass gets real tall down here in Mississippi) but haven't gotten down in the dirt with it so to speak. I thought that the bench rest accuracy would be better.
senderos are usually very good right out of the box. some tweeking is usually necessary but not much. loading is the best way to obtain max. performance from any rifle. had i been advising you, i would have suggested a more reasonable scope if necessary, to allow for the aquisition of loading gear. certainly you have an excellant scope, but maybe more than you need at this point. im not advising you to sell it, but i think you put the cart in front of the horse. christmas is coming, ask santa for a loading outfit. dont be affraid to check out ebay for used equiptment. but dont just buy any equiptment. this is a good place to start asking questions. ill drop 1 name, REDDING.
Old 10-02-2008, 07:41 PM
Silver Member

Definately put the cart in front of the horse but what can I say... I'm a sucker for good glass.

I scrubbed the barrel clean and got much better groups today. Also let the gun cool more. Now that the temps are out of the 90's it is a bit easier.

Shot a couple of .9 inch groups with Federal/Barnes TSX so there is progress being made.

So far I can tell the gun likes a completely cooled barrel (duh right) and for me to put my left hand on the forend to help with recoil.

Thank for the good advice everyone.