Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

tactical vs hunting rifle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-31-2008, 11:13 AM
Gold Member

Re: tactical vs hunting rifle

My "tactical" rifle - a .308 in a Rem 700 short action, Krieger barrel, McMillan stock, Badger Ord base & rings etc... Somewhere around 12 pounds, very accurate.

My favorite hunting rifle - a .25-06 Rem 700 CDL, factory barrel, simple 6x Leupold scope, likely around 8 pounds all up. Much, much handier and easier to carry and to swing onto game in a fast moving situation.

I like them both, but I wouldn't want to be forced to lug the .308 around every time I go hunting.

Coming to America? Welcome! Even with the current economic situation - I think you'll find a way to come up with a couple of good rifles! It's not like they're hard to find here...

Regards, Guy
Old 11-01-2008, 12:02 AM
Gold Member

rifles have been used for setting up here, and shooting over there, long before the word tactical was even thought of.
i doubt the word has been used for 20 years, in association with rifles. magazines certainly arent a necessity for long range hunting.
many rifles built specificaly for that purpose are single shot. and certainly an argument can be made for a nice classic styled thumbhole stock. heavier barrels are a benefit, especially after a few shots have been fired. im of the opinion that true tactical rifles are of the shorter barrel variety, and as such dont lend themselves to the cartridges associated with long range hunting.
a 7 rem. mag. with a 28" barrel on a rem. action, dosent really much care what the stock looks like. but admittedly the tacticals look scarrier.
some words of advise to the guy moving to this country. dont waste any time buying your guns, and dont waste any time joining the N. R. A.
Old 11-03-2008, 01:50 AM
Bronze Member

Thanks again for the advice and words of welcome. Have a much clearer picture of the two variants now. Looking forward to living in your great country.
Old 11-03-2008, 11:21 AM
Gold Member

Looking forward to having you here! We can always use another rifleman!

Wonder if we could send a bunch of our non shooters away somewhere?
Old 11-04-2008, 02:00 AM
Bronze Member

Yeah. Send your non shooters here to South Africa.They can see first hand how useless strict gun control is in protecting the citizens.