Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

Tactical Sling ?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-31-2006, 01:02 PM
Platinum Member

Tactical Sling ?

I am in need of a sling and have seen some tactical slings that look like they would work but wondered if anyone has used them.

I am carrying a mid-weight rifle 12 lbs.
I want the rifle to be somewhat hands free for bino work but at the ready for any close encounters, so a cross chest carry would be needed.
I also have some crawling and climbing and for this a middle of the back would be the preferred location.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

edge.
Old 06-02-2006, 11:29 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Tactical Sling ?

Edge-- take a look at this link-- http://longrangehunting.com/ubbthreads/s...p;page=0#111789

May be what u're looking for. I have one similar to this, that i put together myself, and it's great for spot and stalk, crawling, etc. That snap u see in the link makes all the diff. in the world-- quick to adjust, holds tight over the back, on the belly, etc., and best of all it's easy to get out of once u arrive at the shooting spot-- no contorting needed. This snap system is easily installed yourself in just about any sling i've ever used.
Old 06-03-2006, 04:53 AM
Platinum Member

sscoyote,
Thanks I will have to take a look to see how it feels, and the price is not too bad either [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I was more thinking along the lines of one of these:
http://www.centuriontactical.com/tactical-sling.htm
With the SWIFT or the V-TAC as the two most likely choices.

edge.
Old 06-03-2006, 10:05 PM
Platinum Member

[ QUOTE ]
I am carrying a mid-weight rifle 12 lbs.
I want the rifle to be somewhat hands free for bino work but at the ready for any close encounters, so a cross chest carry would be needed.
I also have some crawling and climbing and for this a middle of the back would be the preferred location.

Any thoughts?

[/ QUOTE ]

Edge,

Don't know if you're referencing 'tactical' due to tactical situations. However for hunting I use a very unconventional but very comfortable sling that meets each of your criteria.

I carry an almost 12# rifle also.

I carry across the front.

I can pretty much instantly be in shooting position with a natural move. I jokingly say that I can miss 2 shots before the other guys get their rifles off their shoulders. Jokingly but sometimes accurate [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]

The sling snaps so that the rifle will not shift while climbing western PA spoil piles or Idaho mountain shale out crops.

It remains in place with no intervention while walking etc.

The only down side is that bouncing binos clunk on the fore arm if not careful [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

Here's a pic.

That's masking tape on the muzzle. not snow....
Old 06-04-2006, 07:18 AM
Platinum Member

Roy in Idaho,

That certainly sounds like what I am looking for, what is the brand and model, if you don't mind.

thanks,

edge.
Old 06-04-2006, 01:19 PM
Platinum Member

Edge,

I make them myself....

Send your address and I'll send you an early prototype version that I have. Was going to put it on that swat shop thinger that jimm started but this is better.

roy(@)randaenterprises.com

Roy
Old 06-04-2006, 08:23 PM
Silver Member

Tell me how u made them looks pretty interesting!!!

Moe