Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

Tactical scopes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-07-2013, 06:14 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Tactical scopes

I agree, in part. Leupold is overpriced across the board. I have a few older ones that are tits.

I think Leupold is following Trigicon's lead in pricing so I'd be buying something else, just not a Sooper Sniper. Certainly not a Trigicon, absurdly priced for a run of the mill optic.

Tactical is a bad term anyway. Should be 'Tacticool'. Any scope with high turrets, side parallelax, a forgiving eye box and resettable zero will do and glass is in the eye of the user, no one else.

My take on buying any scope is go to one of the large retail houses like Cabelas or Gander Mountain ands look through many scopes. Check the reticle's, check the eye box, check the weight, check the clarity and then make an educated choice, not a choice based on someone else's opinion.

Because other's opinions mean nothing. It's what you are comfortable with.

Case in point. I've lusted for a pair of Kennetrecs for years but I won't buy a pair of hunting boots (or anything else for that matter) without trying them on or in the case of an optic or bino's or firearm, without having one in my hands to inspect.

Thats why I have 2 pair of Meindl's. I can go try them on and makes sure they fit. Same applies to optics or anythiung else for that matter.

So 'take a test drive' and then order online.
Old 12-07-2013, 06:55 PM
Gold Member

try this link. will teach you the difference between MIl and MOA, and how to use them.
you have practice shooting and engaging target at different distance.
it's pretty close with what you will see through the scope.
The website is foing a pretty good job on getting familiar with tactical shooting and tactical scopes and how to engage targets with taxtical reticle (MOA or MIL)

ShooterReady

choose MOA scope because is eazy to do the math without the calculator on field.

Example:
Assuming a big Muley buck is 20" back to belly, and he covers 4 minutes in the scope........

20/4 = 5, or 500 yds.

Then minus the 5% and he is 475 yds away.

Very simple, very intuitive and very quick.
He's really 477 yds away, but 475 does the trick.
Old 12-07-2013, 07:07 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SidecarFlip View Post
I agree, in part. Leupold is overpriced across the board. I have a few older ones that are tits.

I think Leupold is following Trigicon's lead in pricing so I'd be buying something else, just not a Sooper Sniper. Certainly not a Trigicon, absurdly priced for a run of the mill optic.

Tactical is a bad term anyway. Should be 'Tacticool'. Any scope with high turrets, side parallelax, a forgiving eye box and resettable zero will do and glass is in the eye of the user, no one else.

My take on buying any scope is go to one of the large retail houses like Cabelas or Gander Mountain ands look through many scopes. Check the reticle's, check the eye box, check the weight, check the clarity and then make an educated choice, not a choice based on someone else's opinion.

Because other's opinions mean nothing. It's what you are comfortable with.

Case in point. I've lusted for a pair of Kennetrecs for years but I won't buy a pair of hunting boots (or anything else for that matter) without trying them on or in the case of an optic or bino's or firearm, without having one in my hands to inspect.

Thats why I have 2 pair of Meindl's. I can go try them on and makes sure they fit. Same applies to optics or anythiung else for that matter.

So 'take a test drive' and then order online.
+1

I agree. try before you buy. And in the end YOU have to live with it, not anyone else.
Old 12-07-2013, 07:35 PM
Platinum Member

I have a SS 5-20x50 on a full custom 338 Norma and it is on par with my Mark 4 Leupy. I favor later for gap TMR reticle and I had to put a throw ring on SS because power is stiff, but glass is good, I favor 5x on SS over Leo 6.5. Wish someone had a March 3.5x24 x42 for a steal to try one
Old 12-07-2013, 08:20 PM
Platinum Member

March won't be for 4 months yet........
Old 12-08-2013, 09:31 AM
Silver Member

I'd rather try them in the field side by side, and not in the store. I have 2 older Leupold's that have good glass, a 3rd I sold. The Mark 4 are not that great next to my SS.