Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

Tactical scopes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-04-2013, 09:46 PM

Tactical scopes

I am searching to educate myself on adjustable scopes-elev/wind etc. I've been a leupold believer for a long time, and recently picked up a t/c encore. 300win, 22-250 @ am ordering a 6.8 rem SPC. I'm looking hard @ the vx series & am leaning toward the vx 6. I'm old school and have had 3x9 vx2 and fx4 leupolds. Had a Carl Gustav 270win & with my old 3x9, could shoot sub MOA. Almost 1/2 MOA. Although I've been shooting/hunting for almost 40 years, & am not the " village idiot" about the subject, I realize I'm green as a gourd with tactical shooting. Does someone have advise on good resources to help me learn. Any help is much appreciated
Thx Tom
Old 12-05-2013, 01:12 PM
Silver Member

Re: Tactical scopes

Tom welcome to the site. When I started learning the Tac thing I was using a VXIII 6.5-20x40 Leupold that had moa knobs with a mil-dot reticle. I was a little lost on how to use the reticle. 1 day a new shooting buddy was kind enough to invite me to shoot with him at his home where he would school me in how to use these types of scopes. By the end of the day I was ranging targets with the reticle and getting within a few yards. Happy, happy, happy. I have now gratuated to Mil-Mil scopes. I've googled and read some here on the net, decent info, but nothing better then having someone work with you FTF. Whatever you do make sure the scope is either Moa-Moa or Mil-Mil. I believe there is a shooting program you can find on the computer and play around with, I can't remember the site rightnow, if I find it I'll let you know.
Old 12-06-2013, 08:37 PM
Platinum Member

Matching turrets and reticles is great advice (mil or MOA, not mil and MOA).

Here is a ballistics calc to play with:
JBM - Calculations - Trajectory

Nightforce makes a great tactical scope. So does S&B (maybe the best) but they are spendy. Take a good look at the higher-end Vortex scopes, I have not shot one but they are getting good reviews.
Old 12-07-2013, 12:03 PM
Silver Member

The Tac scope I'm favoring these days is a SuperSniper 5-20x50HD.
Old 12-07-2013, 02:43 PM
Bronze Member

+1 on the SS.

I believe the program you are talking about is shooter ready. Here is the link they have a free demo to play. ShooterReady
Old 12-07-2013, 02:59 PM
Platinum Member

IMO, comparing a Leupy to a Sooper Sniper is like looking through a sheet of waxed paper (Sooper Sniper) versus a Leupy.

I'm not into waxed paper myself.
Old 12-07-2013, 03:33 PM
Bronze Member

We still have yet to hear a price range and just putting plenty of options out there. I liked Lupey but it seems they have slipped a bit in the past couple years. And your paying more for a name. NOT saying they are a bad scope just seems you are getting less for your money then you use to. And yes I understand that you get what you pay for. But SS HD line has very good glass. on par with lupey. Most likely made in the same factory. But then again throwing anything in with S&B talk about wax paper.