Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

Switch barrel guns

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 12-21-2003, 03:35 PM
Gold Member
Re: Switch barrel guns

I have a few switch barrel guns. I just take off one barrel with a barrel vice and action wrench then put the other one on just like a nut and bolt. With the bat action guns I have I also have different bolts for different case heads takes less than 5 Min to change. Talk to your smith about switch barrels
Crow Mag
If you think something is not possible move out of the way so the ones that are doing it can

Unread 12-21-2003, 03:50 PM
Silver Member

same you need a barrel wise and a good wrenc wich match your reciver and softer than yourreciver to doesn t marr the receiver as soon as all the surface are blue print headspace value is stable

that a very good solution for :
a beginner to save good costly barrel life and practice with low cost barrel as Sendero take off perhaps notthe very best barrel on the range but for 125 buck you get 1500 to 2000 round of practice as soon as you avoid real magnum as RUM but in 7 rem mag 26 inch can reach 1000 yards easy

very good solution for a competition shooeter who is able to test several barrels and keep th ebest for competition and the worth for load dev , fire forming and practice

most of rifle I own are set up for switch barrel ven if I not swicht often that allow me tomake fire forming or test a new caliber without th eneed to put money a complete rifle

good shooting

Unread 12-21-2003, 05:50 PM
Platinum Member
Location: The rifle range, or archery range or behind the computer in Alaska

These rifles make alot of sense if you want a 243 and a 308 and like your action and stock. I am having one done right now. I am using Lilja straight taper #7 barrels and the tapper is so gradual, you dont even have to take off the stock to change barrels!
Long range shooting is a process that ends with a result. Once you start to focus on the result (how bad your last shot was, how big the group is going to be, what your buck will score, what your match score is, what place you are in...) then you loose the capacity to focus on the process.
Unread 12-22-2003, 12:38 AM
Silver Member
Switch barrel guns

Gents - A couple of questions - could someone give me a little insight of how these are built and how easy or hard they are to change , also if you guys have pictures of these wildcat cartriges comparing them to stock or others for a size comparison would someone be willing to post some pictures - thanks - ps - about that 260 rem , it took 6 brushes and half a bottle of copper remover, the throat is gone but everything else looks good - it goes to the smith after xmas for a rechamber.