Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

Supressor vs Muzzle Brake

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-05-2012, 06:13 PM

Supressor vs Muzzle Brake

Looking for the practical (not legal) comparison.

Just put a Brake on my .338 LM. Helped a lot with recoil but introduced a whole new level of muzzle blast to me and is pretty tough on the guys using the benches next to me as well. If the Brake were replaced with a Supressor would it provide any noticeable recoil reduction on the same gun...how about muzzle blast reduction?

Talking real world here, not theoretical. Appreciate any info you can provide.

Silvertp
Old 03-05-2012, 06:26 PM
Silver Member

Re: Supressor vs Muzzle Brake

Yes a suppressor would Aid in recoil as well as muzzle blast. all the gases Are directed forward of the muzzle as the suppressor bleeds off.
Old 03-05-2012, 07:20 PM
Platinum Member

... and having fiddled with a few, they change the ballistics of the particular round plus they have a definite lifespan and need to be rebuilt. A brake don't.

I can relate quite well to the 338 and the brake effect on 'innocent' bystanders....lol

I do like the double report (when heard from a distance).

I don't like standing beside one.......
Old 03-05-2012, 07:48 PM
Gold Member

If you can squire one legally where you live, I would highly recommend one as they do the opposite of a brake in regards to muzzle blast. A good one will cost an arm and a leg but on a bolt rifle should last a very long time................. WARNING: they are addictive and if you do this you may feel the strange urge to have one on everything you own. Don't say I didn't warn you......................Good luck
Old 03-05-2012, 11:09 PM
Platinum Member

You can here (own a muffler) with a special license and corresponding fees but but it's still a big hassle for limited return. It's like having a Class 3 Collectors license. I get to play with full auto firearms but don't be verbal about it.....

Cycling 1200 rounds a minute is fun but oh so expensive, especially when you have to buy the stuff. We ain't the government where its free from the taxpayers......

I prefer to watch that activity on U-Tube. It don't intrude on my wallet...... It's my opinion that everyone interested in firearms shoud be able to select fire at least one time, so long as they pick up the tab for the ammo.

Same applies to mufflers.

To me, it's more fantasy than reality.

The brake does exactly what it's designed for, brake's the felt recoil at a price.
Old 03-05-2012, 11:26 PM
Gold Member

I have also owned some full autos and shot a great deal more of about every variety but found owning and feeding them to be educational, expensive and wildly impractical for any purpose other than fighting someone equally equipped. I long ago sold off my automatics but all the suppressers I have owned.....I still own....$200 tax and a couple months for background really is not as much hassle as it sounds. I love them more than I buy them but often wish every firearm had one.
Old 03-06-2012, 10:11 AM

Thanks everyone for the information, I really didn't know what to expect from a suppressor. I have always thought I'd like to try one out but wouldn't know what rifle / caliber to start with.

D.ID Im fortunate to hang my hat in Idaho as well, so no problems with ownership, just paperwork and expense.

SidecarFlip...you commented that a can wound "change the ballistics" of a round. Is that change significant enough that new load development is in order? Or more of a tweek / sight adjustment? Also, in your experience does a brake alter ballistics / point of impact? Im thinking of using the brake on my 338 LM for load development and taking the brake off in hunting season when I go for my walks in the mountains.

Silvertp

d