Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

Suggestions for Getting Started

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-03-2010, 02:37 PM

Suggestions for Getting Started

New to LR shooting. Have read tons on this forum but there are so many choices and aspects that are not familiar yet. Looking for suggestions for entry level package to get started with. I would like to go with the 6mm BR cartridge. Savage seems to have a few offerings chambered for this round. Would I be better off going with a custom package initially given I really want something that will provide the capability to shoot .2's when my skill is in place? With all the custom gunsmiths, any suggestions on where to start if that's the route I choose? Budget is probably $3K or so initially for rifle/scope. Besides those, what other things are essential?
Appreciate all your input.
Colt 1911 .45 ACP
Sig 1911 Stainless .45 ACP
Sig P226 9mm
Ruger GP100 357Mag
S&W Model 41 .22 LR
Marlin 39a .22
Old 05-03-2010, 08:55 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Suggestions for Getting Started

TestPilot,
I think a Savage in 6BR would be a great place to start. Personally, I have had a hankering for a Savage LRPV Left Port in this caliber with the 1-8" twist barrel ever since they hit the streets. This is one accurate little cartridge and the Savage rifle is no slouch.
It probably would not be the optimum LR big-game rifle, but for targets and varmints, you would be set. What a great cartridge to learn shooting form and ballistics on and you could shoot more, cheaper. It burns, on average 35gns of any one powder, or less.
I just bought my second Savage rifle and the first group out of it measured .3". If it produces this level of accuracy during barrel break-in, it can only get better. I'm getting 2.5" (and less) groups at 500yds. Savage shoots. JohnnyK.
Old 05-03-2010, 09:07 PM

Thanks JohnnyK...I've read nothing but good stuff about the Savage rifles and given that chasing Cape Buffalo phase of my life is for sure behind me, seems like the 6br would be a great hole puncher as well as give a pdog or two reason for some concern...What scope do you use? Seems like a lot of scopes have 1/4 MOA adjustment...Is that sufficient or do you really need 1/8 or less?
Colt 1911 .45 ACP
Sig P226 9mm
Ruger GP100 357Mag
S&W Model 41 .22 LR
Marlin 39a .22
Old 05-03-2010, 09:36 PM
Platinum Member

I use 1/4 MOA (both Leupolds) on my 6.5x284 and 7Mag and 1/8 MOA (both Nikons) on my .243 and .300WinMag. I think the 1/4 MOA will get you close enough to your intended target. JohnnyK.
Old 05-03-2010, 10:02 PM
Gold Member

JohnnyK is on the money IMO. I bought my first savage a few weeks back and love it. Very accurate and good value and can do a lot of the barrel swapping etc at home. You've got a good sized budget there. You could get a custom, but I would say get a stock savage, see how it shoots, then maybe upgrade it if nessasary. Remember, the budget has to include a bipod, rings, and base which are easily another $200.

I'm not sure how much reloading gear you have but guessing by the arsenal of pistols, you probably have some gear. You will need dies, shellplates, a case trimmer, priming device, etc. So remember that when you decide to buy.

A savage in .308win or 300wsm would also be good options. Those would also allow you to take light skinned game out to eventualy 800 or 1000+ with the wsm as your skills develop (I'm talking LOTS of practice, but you probably know that.) just looking ahead. For scopes, don't skimp. Leupold Mk4s, and NF are the favoured ones around here. I am ordering my first sightron SIII currently based on loads of positive reviews. A great rifle can really be held back by low quality optics.
Old 05-03-2010, 10:50 PM

Thanks OliverAlan...I think the Savage F Class in 6mm Norma BR might be the choice...As you guessed, I do have quite an array of reloading stuff and leaned to go slow in picking the components...I think that really applies to the rifle calibers given the accuracy sensitivity to COAL and all...Still got a lot to pick up on in that area and will be picking the brains of all the experience available here. I've been looking at the NF 8-32 x 56 Precision Benchrest...What mounting system would you recommend to put it on top of a Savage F Class? I'd also be interested in your thoughts on reticules. Lots of choices there and without any experience, hard to figure out the pros/cons of the different configurations...
Thanks again for all the info...
Colt 1911 .45 ACP
Sig P226 9mm
Ruger GP100 357Mag
S&W Model 41 .22 LR
Marlin 39a .22
Old 05-05-2010, 01:02 AM
Bronze Member

I dont have a 6br or target but i do use a savage for long range i built mine piece at a time form a stevens. Alot of people on savageshooters like the 12bench stock over the f class because it sit in the rear bag better i guess this is personal choice. I have stockade paire dog on my stevens i like it people have had him build custom savages for about 1500 this a little more than a target savage just an option. You being new to this stuff the 12 target would be great starting setup. What range are you trying to reach? is this bench rifle or hunting or both? If hunting then a good bipod such as harris i use the a caldwell and like it. If your looking at high end optics i would use farrel or bench source, NF or M4 for rings and a base. If you plan a Anti Cant and/or Angle Cosine Indicator i would go NF these are probly not needed for begining but maybe later on down the road. I would keep it very simple to begin with alots of practice and good form then add things as needed