Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

SUGGESTIONS for 300 RUM????

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-24-2013, 04:21 PM

SUGGESTIONS for 300 RUM????

I want to get a 300 Remington ultra mag for long range.. I have been told to get a Sendero but have heard diffrent opinions on the SFII or SF?
not sure the diffrence or what would be better. Mabey i should go about this a diffrent way???? for the price reasons,I found a sendero for 1100, but can I get a better set up for a little more money. I want a remington, I like the sendero but the big question is can i build a nicer gun for a little more money.

Thanks for your opinions..

Im kind of new at this all my life i have just bought a rifle and amo off the shelf and done quite well... just started to gain intrest in the technology and upgrades of this sport...
Old 03-24-2013, 07:40 PM
Silver Member

Re: SUGGESTIONS for 300 RUM????

That is a tough question; what exactly do you want to do? I wouldn't recommend a 300rum for a first long range rifle. If you aren't used to recoil you may need to add a brake to keep from developing a flinch. A 308 is great and a 300wm will do everything you could want, within reason. A Remington Sendero, or similar rifle would be fine, especially if you are going to reload (reloading is the key to long range in my opinion). If a 1/2 moa rifle (or close to it) is your goal, just buy either. If you want a 1/4 moa rifle you are going to pay a lot for the little bit extra. You would have to see what a gunsmith would charge to put together a rig for you, but $2,500.00 seems to be about the cheapest I could do a build they way I want it. I would buy a decent rifle and get good optics for it; if the scope doesn't perform you won't be accurate.
Old 03-24-2013, 08:49 PM

Well I already own a remington model 700 7mm that me and a friend reload for hunting I can reach out pretty far with it. just wanting to step it up to a thousand yards i know I can do it with what i have but my son now 7 loves that gun and i cant take it apart for the reason i will want him to use it. so i figured I would get me something new.. Win ...Win ... I was going to buy the sendero but then after changing the trigger to a timney and new stock and muzzle break Im not sure thats the way to go money wise. I have narrowed the scope to a Vortex viper 6-24x50 FFP EBR-1 moa
Old 03-24-2013, 09:30 PM

I brought a Sendero 338 rum for my son with a leupold 3.5 to 10 and 1st day out with factory ammo shot 5/8" groups. I liked the accuracy so One week later I brought a 300 rum Sendaro for myself and again with factory ammo shot 5/8 groups and accuracy for both rifles has only gotten better with careful hand loads for both rifles. I like the bedding job in the Sendero's since they are bedded on aluminum cast in bedding blocks. Fine rifles, great triggers and flat shooters very happy with both. I am currently loading 150 grain Barnes at 3700'/sec for the 300 and 225 Barnes for the 338. Since the 300 is already over bore capacity I believe the 300 to be superior to the 7mm for long range. Just my 2 cents worth.
Old 03-24-2013, 09:46 PM

Lynn

Thanks for your 2 cents.. Do you have the SF II model
Old 03-25-2013, 09:44 AM
Platinum Member

The only diffrence between the SF and the SFII senduro's is that the stock was changed to a larger palm swell and the flutes were blacked out.
I liket he SF I's better all around, while the bigger palm swell is a bit better for prone.

The stocks on the Senduro's are HS precision and without jumping way up in price, they dont get much better. sometimes the triggers are great, sometimes not. I would buy the Senduro and have a break put on and see how it does.

I am not in the U.S market, but I know here, a senduro is less than half of a custom build.
Old 03-25-2013, 11:53 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by angus-5024 View Post
The only diffrence between the SF and the SFII senduro's is that the stock was changed to a larger palm swell and the flutes were blacked out.
I liket he SF I's better all around, while the bigger palm swell is a bit better for prone.

The stocks on the Senduro's are HS precision and without jumping way up in price, they dont get much better. sometimes the triggers are great, sometimes not. I would buy the Senduro and have a break put on and see how it does.

I am not in the U.S market, but I know here, a senduro is less than half of a custom build.
I feel you can't go wrong with a Sendero. I have twin 7mm STW Senderos and absolutely love them. I have had both skim bedded and replaced the factory triggers with Jewell triggers. They consistently shoot under 1/2 MOA and usually if I do my part they are .25 MOA.

They are well worth the money. Here's a few pictures of them and some results at the range.
Attached Thumbnails - Click to View Larger
SUGGESTIONS for 300 RUM????-twin-senderos-7mm-stw_1.jpg   SUGGESTIONS for 300 RUM????-twin-senderos-7mm-stw_2.jpg  

SUGGESTIONS for 300 RUM????-twin-senderos-7mm-stw_3.jpg   SUGGESTIONS for 300 RUM????-sendero-7mm-stw-montana-_140-ac_82-h1000_col-3-675_-4-shot-group-1-1.jpg  

SUGGESTIONS for 300 RUM????-montana-rl25_79-160-ab.jpg   SUGGESTIONS for 300 RUM????-140-ab-h1000-85_5.jpg  

Remington 700 Sendero SF 7mm STW
Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50 FFP EBR-1 MOA Reticle Scope

Remington 700 LSS .257 Weatherby Magnum
Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50 FFP EBR-1 MOA Reticle Scope