Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

Styles of Stocks

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-15-2010, 01:34 PM
Bronze Member

Styles of Stocks

Out of different styles of stocks such Modern classic, Monte Carlo, and the kind of stocks that the M40a3 and the M24 use, what are the advantages and disadvantages of each style with regards to long range hunting?

"The .30-06 is never a mistake" - Colonel Townsend Whelen
Old 07-15-2010, 09:15 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Styles of Stocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94Winchester View Post
Out of different styles of stocks such Modern classic, Monte Carlo, and the kind of stocks that the M40a3 and the M24 use, what are the advantages and disadvantages of each style with regards to long range hunting?
That's a pretty broad question that will get you all kinds of responses. Is there something in particular that interests you?

For long range hunting, I prefer stocks with vertical grips and adjustable cheek pieces. Vertical grip is comfortable and allows for an easy trigger squeeze. Adjustable cheek piece allows you to perfectly align your eye in the scope along with perfect cheek weld.
Old 07-16-2010, 08:10 AM
Bronze Member

What I had in mind was a stock for a long range hunting rifle that could be used for backpacking for elk or deer.

"The .30-06 is never a mistake" - Colonel Townsend Whelen
Old 07-16-2010, 12:47 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94Winchester View Post
What I had in mind was a stock for a long range hunting rifle that could be used for backpacking for elk or deer.

I am putting together a rifle that I think will be a splitter between a backpack and a dedicated long range rifle and chose to use the McMillan ADJ HTG which is a M40A with an adjustable cheekpiece. The adjustable cheekpiece adds about Ĺ pound to the setup but I think itís worth it.

There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the inside of a man. Sir Winston Churchill.

Everything that is really great and inspiring is created by the individual who can labor in freedom. Einstein