Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

Stupid basic Question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-25-2013, 02:38 PM
Bronze Member

Stupid basic Question

I've got a few pistols and semi-autos, but after buying a Bolt action I've hit a wall.. After much wasted GoogleFu, How do you store the bolt while in a soft case????? Leave it in rifle or pull it and wrap it in something? Thanks
Old 05-25-2013, 02:58 PM
Gold Member

Re: Stupid basic Question

Make sure it is unloaded and leave bolt in place. I personally dry fire mine when storing to take pressure off firing pin spring, that is just my method. Welcome to the site!

Old 05-25-2013, 03:12 PM
Bronze Member

I store my bolt actions with the bolt in while in my safe, but usually remove the bolt while I'm transporting my gun to/from hunting or the range. Just my preference.
Old 05-25-2013, 03:41 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhulesAu View Post
I've got a few pistols and semi-autos, but after buying a Bolt action I've hit a wall.. After much wasted GoogleFu, How do you store the bolt while in a soft case????? Leave it in rifle or pull it and wrap it in something? Thanks

There are no stupid questions. Just questions you may not have the answer for... yet.

As for storing the bolt, for the most part, I leave mine in the rifle in a fired condition - hold the trigger back while closing the bolt. A couple rifles that I have not used in quite a while nor plan on using (read years) I have the bolt removed and the firing pins stored separately.

Pete

A 'do nothing' Congress is not always a bad thing. If they pass enough laws, it should be entirely possible to sterilize one's complete life experience.

"The 'tolerant' left has come full circle... and has now become what they so despised."
Old 05-25-2013, 04:48 PM
Platinum Member

I store mine in the rifle as well. Nothing wrong with storing them pulled and wrapped, though.
Old 05-26-2013, 08:06 PM
Bronze Member

Thanks for the info!!! I was some what concerned about transporting, I'm am not the most graceful of people. Didn't wanna bang the handle and kill one of the lugs.
Old 05-30-2013, 09:44 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick523 View Post
Make sure it is unloaded and leave bolt in place. I personally dry fire mine when storing to take pressure off firing pin spring, that is just my method. Welcome to the site!

Okay, you don't need to dry fire it, but it is good to take pressure off the firing pin and spring. To do this without dry firing, simply:

1) open the bot and verify it is unloaded
2) push the bolt so that is fully forward
3) finally, hold the trigger down as you push the bolt down into the locked position