Long Range Hunting Online Magazine


Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out


Reply

Stockade stocks ??

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #22  
Old 05-25-2010, 08:00 PM
Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: West Tennessee
Posts: 52
Re: Stockade stocks ??

squirrelduster
you're right on
didn't know I could have gotten Kevin to do the barreled action or that is exactly what I would have done,
unfortunately, I'd already closed the deal on the barreled action with JR Oaks.
Last communication he returned was an email April 13 saying he'd be home the next day and finish, ship and email the tracking number.
since then no response to emails, texts and voicemail. Said all he like was polishing the barrel (previous response was in January and all he liked was 'sandblasting' the barrel)
so, maybe someday
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 06-16-2010, 04:28 PM
Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 39
Re: Stockade stocks ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by squirrelduster View Post
Here is my stockade with the adjustable cheek piece.
The scope is a NF 8-32x56.
This is an awesome set up. 7WSM with a Benchmark barrel and a real tack driver. It doesn't take much effort to shoot 1/2" groups at 200 yards.
The stock was really easy to finish. I used the icing stuff that Kevin recommends and only spent a couple hours on it. The paint is Rustoleum multicolor textured paint rattle can. The brown paint on the cheek piece is not textured.
It started off life as a Savage model 16 and now shoots almost as good as my custom Remington 700 6mmbr.
I'm not really happy with the muzzle brake but it does reduce the recoil quite a bit. I was hoping to be able see impacts at long range but I can't.

muzzle
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 06-16-2010, 07:42 PM
Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: West Tennessee
Posts: 52
Re: Stockade stocks ??

squirrelduster
whats the brand name of the "icy stuff" you used to finish the stock??
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 06-17-2010, 07:10 AM
Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 39
Re: Stockade stocks ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by squirrelduster View Post
Here is my stockade with the adjustable cheek piece.
The scope is a NF 8-32x56.
This is an awesome set up. 7WSM with a Benchmark barrel and a real tack driver. It doesn't take much effort to shoot 1/2" groups at 200 yards.
The stock was really easy to finish. I used the icing stuff that Kevin recommends and only spent a couple hours on it. The paint is Rustoleum multicolor textured paint rattle can. The brown paint on the cheek piece is not textured.
It started off life as a Savage model 16 and now shoots almost as good as my custom Remington 700 6mmbr.
I'm not really happy with the muzzle brake but it does reduce the recoil quite a bit. I was hoping to be able see impacts at long range but I can't.

Who did your muzzle brake for you?
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 06-17-2010, 07:51 PM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Dayton, Nevada
Posts: 1,793
Re: Stockade stocks ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcarter88 View Post
Who did your muzzle brake for you?
Looks like a Stockade brake. My guess, especially since Kevin did all the other work.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 06-21-2010, 10:01 AM
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: sebastopol, ca.
Posts: 418
Re: Stockade stocks ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by geronimo.tn View Post
squirrelduster
whats the brand name of the "icy stuff" you used to finish the stock??
U.S. Chemical and Plastics autobody icing.
Nice to work with, it seems to be like bondo but smoother. Feathers in a lot better than the regular Bondo.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 06-21-2010, 10:19 AM
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: sebastopol, ca.
Posts: 418
Re: Stockade stocks ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by geargrinder View Post
Looks like a Stockade brake. My guess, especially since Kevin did all the other work.
GG you are correct, Kevin did the metal work. The fit and finish is very good. It is hard to tell where the muzzle brake starts and the barrel ends.
Kevin is an awesome guy.
A huge help in many different ways.
I had a problem with my AR and I called him and we discussed what was happening and I was able to fix the problem myself with some dremel tool action.
I had a problem with the rifle in the picture and we spent several hours on the phone at different times. It appeared to be ignition problems.
I ended up sending it back to Kevin and the firing pin spring was weak causing poor ignition. $150.00 for the spring and trueing of the action.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads for: Stockade stocks ??
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Stockade 7WSM FS RockZ Guns For Sale 10 02-18-2011 03:20 PM
New Stockade Stock nddodd Gun Parts - Stocks, Barrels, Actions, etc. 6 09-27-2009 12:34 PM
how much work stockade mopar440 Gunsmithing 1 04-15-2009 09:04 PM
Stockade Stocks DCGS Equipment Discussions 8 04-26-2008 01:52 PM
Stockade Gun Stocks bjlooper Long Range Hunting & Shooting 4 11-19-2007 06:00 PM

Current Poll
Do You Shoot Rifle Competition?
YES - 33.66%
764 Votes
NO - 66.34%
1,506 Vote
Total Votes: 2,270
You may not vote on this poll.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:33 AM.


Powered by vBulletin ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Management Powered by vBadvanced CMPS
All content ©2010-2014 Long Range Hunting, LLC