Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

Stock replacement

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-08-2013, 09:52 AM

Stock replacement

Hello all,

Been a member here for a bit, mostly read the articles and lurk. I have a Rem. 700 SPS tac. 20" barrel in .308 and I am looking to replace the stock. I like the B&C Tactical Medalist but it looks a little heavy. This is an all purpose rifle. Hunting in the north woods of NH and target shooting. I don't want something too heavy. Budget is up to $500. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Jay
Old 11-12-2013, 12:22 AM

Re: Stock replacement

B&C Alaskan Wilderness / Mountain Rifle stock (1.7 lbs) - $264

or

Manners Super Light Hunter (1.75 lbs) - $542

A couple of options for you.
Old 11-12-2013, 07:34 AM

Will my sps be able to drop right in to the b&c Alaskan? I was looking at that one on stockys and wasn't sure bc the sps wasn't listed. Thanks for the response.
Old 11-12-2013, 03:46 PM

I called Bell and Carlson and spoke with them. The Alaskan will not fit with a bull barrel.

They recommended product #2958. They said it is similar To the Alaskan, but slightly heavier (2.25 lbs). same price.

Bell & Carlson Sendaro / Varmint / Police Medalist Style 1 Remington 700 Short Action Rifle Stocks 2958 BDL & 2949 ADL
Old 11-12-2013, 06:53 PM
Silver Member

hello, I have 2 HS Precision on some of my 700s.Ome I had Stocky's put a mercury recoil reducer on a.375HH rem.700.Awesome !! I also have 2 rem.700s (varmint) that have HS stocks that rem.used in the factory guns. Ithink that HS Precesion stocks are great!!.
Old 11-13-2013, 02:06 PM

Thanks for the input guys, I appreciate it. I also see the B&C M40 that looks good at about a half pound heavier. Any preference for one or the other (B&C Varmint 2958 vs. the B&C M40) ?
Old 11-14-2013, 01:54 PM

"What sets this stocks apart from the B&C 2958 is the raised monte carlo cheekrest, set ideally for large, powerful scopes; and the flat/round forend for horizontal stability from a rest." - Stockysstocks

I don't shoot rests/bipods alot and I find the flat forends get a bit odd to handle in field positions. Meaning...gripping the forend I don't get as positive of a grip as I do with the rounded forend of a hunting stock.

If it were my rifle I would lean towards the 2958.

If however you shoot mostly from rests or a bipod then the target/tactical stocks are great. And there's no denying the cool factor that accompanies tactical stocks.