Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

Stiffening forend????

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-28-2005, 01:09 PM
Silver Member

Re: Stiffening forend????

Here is how I did mine. Pretty much as BH stated. After I opened it up for the arrow shaft, I drilled small 1/16" holes into the bottom and sides of the stock (in the channel I created), not penetrating the stock. The holes were spaced 1/2" apart, along the inside and sides of the channel. The bottom holes drilled straight down the side holes drilled on a slight downward angle. Rough up the entire area, and clean with Solvent Alcohol. Make sure the alcohol is dry, mix a 2 part epoxy paste, PC 7 or Marine Tex works, and tool it so it conforms to the original shape of the stock and allows the barrel to be floated.
The 1/16" holes act as a mechanical lock. HTH

Frank D
Old 12-28-2005, 11:48 PM
Platinum Member

Thanks for the advice. I posted this question in a couple places. I also did some searches. The results have been interesting and amusing.

1. Somebody always says you can't do it. No matter what you ask.
2. Somebody always says yes you can, this is how.

Now I believe I've got the advice I needed. The fun part is all the things people've tried to stiffen a stock.
Steel rod
Alumnimum rod
fishing pole
carbon arrows
tent pole
valve stem
mill file
a pint of epoxy
flat stock from a bar clamp

I'm sure there are dozens more.

Just shows the people shooting guns are as much fun as the guns. Thanks gentlemen.
Old 02-07-2006, 01:55 AM

I have a mk5 inj stock, which has been stiffened with glass cloth, and layered epoxy ,which encase hard foam "box" -more accurately, "coffin shaped" cores.I roughed all surfaces, and made communication holes between all the compartments. Used "acraglass"w/glass filler for the
base coat, than topped this with many thin layers , followed by the foam "coffin boxes",this brought the bedding up to 3/16" of normal barrel channel.Some additional
drill work (8, 3/16 holes at 45 deg along each channel side)was done to anchor the layers of fill(4 thin coats) and the final bedding -full length,using the pressure points, and taped/release agent applied to the barrelled action as a cast guide. Additional opening was done at 4 corners of the action,and action screw openings were enlarged to epoxy pillar. This was quite an undertaking-took about a month, and result could not be deflected in a padded vise-a whole lot stiffer. A little fine tuning of the forend press, and
the group reduction was about 1/2 to 3/4", from 1-1 1/4" to 1/2"to 3/4" consistantly, which may not meet laser stats, but damn sure works for me.If your not familiar somewhat with glass and epoxy, I have to say , I wouldn't recommend,
unless you are into tweaking things for improvement-some thing I'm somewhat obsessive about. I used an adhesive primer over roughed exterior, followed by flat camo base colors, topped lightly with some trunk "speckle type"spray,
and sealed with matt acrylic for the exterior finish.No comment on the mental indications here! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 02-07-2006, 11:47 PM
Platinum Member

Thanks for the info. I'll do it next time.