Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

Stevens 200 Action / Budget Long Range Rifle Build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-17-2013, 09:49 PM
Silver Member

Re: Stevens 200 Action / Budget Long Range Rifle Build

In questions of my own... Does steven action need or can they be helped buy truing/blueprinting the action to make it a great shooter. I have a stevens and would like to change mine over to a 7Rem Mag. I have the barrel and the stuff to do it with minus the head space gauge. I also wanted to get a switch barrel for a 7mm-300win mag caliber as well. I'm a little unguided on the action treads being recut to true because I've been told you will need to have the threads cut on the barrel as well so the barrel to match so will the barrel have to be set back and recut, chambered etc.etc.etc. I think this makes it where you cannot get one of the pre-fits. Is this correct?. O yes the gun started off a 300win mag so no bolt face change.
Old 07-22-2013, 11:05 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wachsmann View Post
In questions of my own... Does steven action need or can they be helped buy truing/blueprinting the action to make it a great shooter. I have a stevens and would like to change mine over to a 7Rem Mag. I have the barrel and the stuff to do it with minus the head space gauge. I also wanted to get a switch barrel for a 7mm-300win mag caliber as well. I'm a little unguided on the action treads being recut to true because I've been told you will need to have the threads cut on the barrel as well so the barrel to match so will the barrel have to be set back and recut, chambered etc.etc.etc. I think this makes it where you cannot get one of the pre-fits. Is this correct?. O yes the gun started off a 300win mag so no bolt face change.
Don't touch your action threads if you ever want to use a prefit barrel.

You can send your action to Stockade or SSS for a time and true. They will face the action and barrel nut in relation to the action threads. They will also true your bolt head lugs and abutments. They will also recut the cocking ramp and install a bolt lift kit to reduce the force needed to lift the bolt.

All said, everything they do has very little to do with accuracy, but will greatly improve the function of the rifle.

There are many things a regular person can do to improve a Savage action. Polish the cocking ramp, adjust the trigger, and fire several hundred rounds will usually fetch the biggest improvements.
Old 07-24-2013, 10:59 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by geargrinder View Post
The tools you'll need are a nut wrench (Stainless, $25 from Jim Briggs) and an action wrench. The cheap wheeler one from Midway works good.

For the rifle, you'll need a magnum bolthead. You can get a bare one and all the parts from midway.

Get your prefit barrel from any of the manufacturers. A Shilen from Jim Briggs would be a good choice. Or, one from Sin Arms fitted with a muzzle brake.

You'll also want to upgrade stocks. I'd look at Stockade, Bell & Carlson, and Choate.

You could also get a better trigger. I've had very good luck with a factory 3-screw. You could also get a Sharp Shooter Supply or Rifle Basix SAV-2.

The tools, bolthead, and barrel are the minimum to get you shooting. The stock and trigger will bring it up to a great rifle.
Hello I bought a Stevens 200 3006 and the magazine is attached to the stock, (center feed) I cant find a stock for the rifle? any help would be great.
Old 07-26-2013, 10:40 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck300 View Post
Hello I bought a Stevens 200 3006 and the magazine is attached to the stock, (center feed) I cant find a stock for the rifle? any help would be great.
The only difference between centerfeed stocks and staggerfeed stocks is the inletting for the "L" clip for your centerfeed magazine.

The screw spacing is the same. All you need to do is figure out a way to fasten you magazine to the stock. Maybe just inlet for the "L" clip. Or, use some epoxy to lighly glue your magazine into the mag well. That's what I did when I converted a stagger feed 7mmRM into a center feed 223. Just made a spring retainer for the bottom of the magazine then used a couple balls of the knead together epoxy putty to fix the magazine into the correct position.
Old 07-27-2013, 08:38 PM
Platinum Member

Give Kevin Rayhill a call at Stockade stocks. He specializes in stocks for Savage rifles.
Matthew 7:13-14
"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. [14] But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

If you find your self in a fair fight, your tactics suck!- Marine 1st Sergeant Jim Ryfinger

Friends don't let friends develop canonitis!-chucknbach

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!
Old 08-08-2013, 01:42 AM

I have a couple of Stevens action based rifles. One is a long action I bought from Jim Briggs, that I have 6.5x55, 7mm and 300mag barrels for, the short action was a .308 rifle I bought that usually sports a .223 barrel.

With the exception of the .308, all barrels were bought used. They are exactly as accurate as I am. Timney Triggers were purchased from Brownells for both actions, easy retrofit, crisp, appears to be about the same as the Rifle Basix trigger. Boltheads/parts for the magnum and .223 were purchased from Midway. Boyds laminate stocks were used for both these centerfeed (mag box attached to the stock) actions. Stiff stock, actions fit nicely, needed to do a little sanding to fit the thicker Shilen 6.5x55 barrel.

I started this little rifle building hobby with no previous experience. The Article "Long Range Rifle On A Budget" on this site started the ball rolling. Strongly encourage visiting SavageShooters.com for all the info/links needed to do the work on these rifles.