Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

Stevens 200 Action / Budget Long Range Rifle Build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-20-2010, 04:03 PM
Silver Member

Stevens 200 Action / Budget Long Range Rifle Build

I have aquired a like new Stevens 200 rifle in .270 Winchester, and would like to use the action to build a budget long range rifle. What is entailed in building a .338 edge from this action?

I have built a few other guns from parts (10/22, AR 15, 1911) but this would be my first bolt gun. Detailed guidance is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Last edited by TORCHRIDER; 10-20-2010 at 04:18 PM.
Old 10-20-2010, 07:11 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Stevens 200 Action / Budget Long Range Rifle Build

The tools you'll need are a nut wrench (Stainless, $25 from Jim Briggs) and an action wrench. The cheap wheeler one from Midway works good.

For the rifle, you'll need a magnum bolthead. You can get a bare one and all the parts from midway.

Get your prefit barrel from any of the manufacturers. A Shilen from Jim Briggs would be a good choice. Or, one from Sin Arms fitted with a muzzle brake.

You'll also want to upgrade stocks. I'd look at Stockade, Bell & Carlson, and Choate.

You could also get a better trigger. I've had very good luck with a factory 3-screw. You could also get a Sharp Shooter Supply or Rifle Basix SAV-2.

The tools, bolthead, and barrel are the minimum to get you shooting. The stock and trigger will bring it up to a great rifle.
Old 06-13-2013, 09:30 PM

Not sure you can do an edge on the Stevens 200 action I believe you would need a savage large shank action to do any of the ultra mag cases. I just did a savage 116 from 270 to a 6.5-284 and I love it remember anything like a 7 rem mag or larger will need a new bolt face.
Old 06-17-2013, 09:44 PM
Silver Member

Many have built 338's on that action and I may for my next venture. You probably won't be able to use the mag but other than that it won't be that bad. Mcgowen outlet even has A standard shank barrel ready to go. Geargrinder pretty much has you covered in his post. The site in my sig line has some details on a build with one under the builds section. Savage shooters would be a good read as well.
Romans 12:12
www.projectsavage.com
Old 06-17-2013, 09:48 PM
Silver Member

Sell it and buy the right Mag action for the job. It will handle better pressures and you will be money ahead. Nothing wrong with the Savage action but the combo you have is "bad for business"
Old 06-17-2013, 10:32 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by idaho elk hunter View Post
Sell it and buy the right Mag action for the job. It will handle better pressures and you will be money ahead. Nothing wrong with the Savage action but the combo you have is "bad for business"
Wrong.

The Savage action can handle the Edge pressures just fine.

There is no difference between this action and any magnum Savage action. Just like there is no difference between a Rem 700 270win action and a Rem700 7mag action. They are built the same. Just different bolt faces.

I've built many RUM and WSM rifles on small shank Savage actions. Never had a problem related to pressure. No bolt lug setback, no abutment setback....nothing.
Old 06-18-2013, 09:32 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by geargrinder View Post
Wrong.

The Savage action can handle the Edge pressures just fine.

There is no difference between this action and any magnum Savage action. Just like there is no difference between a Rem 700 270win action and a Rem700 7mag action. They are built the same. Just different bolt faces.

I've built many RUM and WSM rifles on small shank Savage actions. Never had a problem related to pressure. No bolt lug setback, no abutment setback....nothing.
I second these comments. Built a couple mags off of the small shank. Not a problem. Build is easy.
Matthew 7:13-14
"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. [14] But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

If you find your self in a fair fight, your tactics suck!- Marine 1st Sergeant Jim Ryfinger

Friends don't let friends develop canonitis!-chucknbach

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!