Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

Starting Out and other things....

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-20-2001, 11:51 PM
Bronze Member

Re: Starting Out and other things....

I'll definately keep every one posted on the progress... It's going to be slow going for a while. First I have to make sure the new 300 WBY (that I can't quite afford yet) will shoot as well as the # 1 that I'm going to play with. Then there's finding a machinest out here in the sticks. Hopefully by mid summer it'll be coming together.
I'll let you know if I come up with any other questions. Trust Me!
Later, Coyoter
Old 11-21-2001, 12:21 AM
Platinum Member

Hello Coyoter

I think the way you have discribed your intentions and the 36" barrel concept, it may very well work just fine for you.

If you don't like fireforming and don't care about the belt, the 338/378 Weatherby will do a fine job for you too.
You could also have your gun smith chamber an improved version of the 378 Case by getting rid of the ventouri shoulder, adding a 35 degree and then head spacing on the shoulder(the way it should be) instead of the belt, as in the case of the factory chamberings. If you improve the 378 case to the deminsions of the 416 IMP you will have the SAME powder capacity.
The 338/378 dies are much less expensive then the custom Neil Jones 338/416 RIg IMP. take down dies that I have.

Good luck and let us know about the project, it is an interesting concept. I have often thought of using that action but, the thought of a 36" barrel hanging out there with no block turned me away. The action should be strong enough. Please send pics when complete.

Thanks for the thoughts on the Xmas presents.
I could use a "Humvee" to get into some of the places we go with all our shooting equipment. Just a thought.

Later and good luck
Darryl Cassel

[ 11-20-2001: Message edited by: Darryl Cassel ]
Old 11-21-2001, 12:31 AM
Bronze Member

Thanks Darryl,
Do I have the concept about the rail gun correct?
I'll remember you and your Hummer next time I go to Toys R Us.
Coyoter
Old 12-23-2001, 09:14 PM

I'm new to this but found a site specifically for and addressing #1's. It's called the " single shot rifle forum" and its at www.greybeardoutdoors.com/forums/41.shtml [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]