Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

Starting out Caliber suggestions and advice.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-31-2010, 11:55 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Starting out Caliber suggestions and advice.

IMO the 30 cals are the way to go.

I am a strong advocate of the 300 WSM. It can be had in a short action vs a long action RUM or 300 Win Mag.

It will run a 180-200 just behind the Win mag and less than 100 fps difference under worst circumstances and mostly very very close. THe WSM shines with the 180-190 gr bullets and those are more than enough. RL 17, and H4350 with standard LR primers

It has 2-3x the barrel life as a minimum and practice is the key in LR shooting.

Just change bolt heads on the 200 and go for it if you want to use yours.

However, my first choice would be to go to Fred Moro at Sharp Shooter Supply as he stocks timed and tuned actions already to go, plus chambered barrels and stocks so you can put together a really great shooting gun for much less than some others and faster.

Look at www.savageshooters.com forums also for info on all savages and maybe even barrels and guns ready to go for a good price.

Darrell Holland sells the Holland Radial brake that is absolutly great for recoil, but with the WSM I would not use one. If I went the RUM route, get one for sure.

BH
Old 03-31-2010, 07:18 PM
Bronze Member

Why are Actions so expensive? and do all barrels have universal threads.

What Is Your Major Malfunction Numb Nuts.
Old 03-31-2010, 09:05 PM
Silver Member

Great Questions.

RE: Why are actions so expensive?
It is kinda like asking why are heart transplants so expensive? Without a good heart, a rifle is just so-so.
Also insurance for a heart surgeon is really high - same for gunsmiths and manufactures making actions. They have to be proofed by a P.E. metalergist, the P.E.'s insurance is expensive too.

RE: Are Barrel Threads the same?
Don't all of us wish that was the case. Unfortunately some are metric, some are standard (inches).

Perhaps a "real"gunsmith will chime in.

Snohomish Co. Washington
NRA Life Member
Old 03-31-2010, 11:19 PM
Bronze Member

So 300 Win super mag bettter then the standerd 300 win mag? I think i want to build a rifle from scratch so what websites are there to do this so i avoid the crap sites. also what will i need?

Last edited by Lead_Farmer; 03-31-2010 at 11:23 PM.
Old 03-31-2010, 11:34 PM
Silver Member

If you want a simple economical build stick with a stand 300 Win Mag. If you want a higher level of performance look and 300 Remington Ultra Mag.

There are wildcats out there that use the 416 Rigby and 338 Lapua cartiridges necked down to 30 cal.

The Savage Rifle lends itself to do it yourself barrel swapping and etc.

Bounty Hunter gave you some good advise too. Check out the savage shooters web site. There is a lot of info that you will find most helpful.

Snohomish Co. Washington
NRA Life Member
Old 03-31-2010, 11:52 PM
Platinum Member

If you want to build from scratch, get a hold of one of the sponsor smiths here on this site. They will help you get what will be right for you and your needs.

Steve
Old 04-01-2010, 01:24 AM
Bronze Member

ight thinks.