Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

'starter' scope etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-15-2014, 12:42 PM

'starter' scope etc.

OK, this is my first post. I've been shooting a long time, on and off, but never much past 100 yds. I want to see how well I can learn how to reach out farther. Mostly target oriented. I want to eventually buy or build a nice .308 but I want to start slow. I have a really old Mauser sporter in 30-06 my dad gave me recently, and it's in pretty good shape. I'm thinking of bedding and floating it, maybe tuning the trigger and putting a scope on it to start trying out at medium distances. Then if I'm having fun and want to go further I can either transfer the scope to a new rifle or buy both new. So:
-Does this sound like a reasonable plan?
-What should I look for in a scope, and how much should I expect to spend? I don't know half of the vocabulary I see on this site about scopes, I don't know what reticle I want or anything. I just know my vintage eyeballs just won't dial in tight with iron sights like they used to. Recommendations? Or refer me to sources for homework?
Old 05-15-2014, 02:57 PM
Silver Member

Re: 'starter' scope etc.

Welcome to the forum. I am no expert on scopes. These previous threads should help.

Good starter scope

Best Long Range Hunting scope <$500 ??

There are way more threads on the forum. You need to search to find specifically what you are looking for.

Scope considerations:

Variable or fixed power?
Tube diameter, 1 inch, 30 mm, 34 mm?
Objective lens diameter, 35mm, 40mm, 42mm, 50mm...etc?
Adjustments mil or MOA?
clicks 1/2, 1/4, 1/8 for MOA or 1 mil per click?
eye relief
clarity
toughness
relaibility, repeatability
PRICE!
Old 05-18-2014, 07:20 PM
Platinum Member

Welcome to LRH and enjoy!

Bruce Ventura is the resident SME in optics and a site sponsor. Check out his very informative website at High Power Optics

I voted for my "FREEDOM", "GUNS", and "MONEY" - keep the change - UNK.

"I am always proud of my country!"

"Leadership Rule #2: Don't be an @zzhole." - Maj Gen Burton Field.
Old 05-19-2014, 03:40 PM

Thanks very much, gentlemen. I was hoping someone would have an opinion on the potential of this old Mauser rifle, but I think I'm just going to start shooting it and see how it acts.
Old 05-19-2014, 05:06 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldnovice View Post
Thanks very much, gentlemen. I was hoping someone would have an opinion on the potential of this old Mauser rifle, but I think I'm just going to start shooting it and see how it acts.
Thus far, we've provided you answers per your title query. If you want a dedicated response on your rifle, consider a separate thread of it's own with pictures and as many details as you possibly provide for members to work on and help you.

I have a Remington 1903-03 in .30-06 and Carl Gustav M1894 Swedish Mauser in 6.5x55. It's hard to provide advice if we don't know exactly what you have.

Also, both of the rifles had to have holes drilled and tapped for scope. The 1903's bolt had to be modified to allow clearance for a scope.

I voted for my "FREEDOM", "GUNS", and "MONEY" - keep the change - UNK.

"I am always proud of my country!"

"Leadership Rule #2: Don't be an @zzhole." - Maj Gen Burton Field.

Last edited by FEENIX; 05-19-2014 at 07:43 PM.
Old 05-19-2014, 06:16 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldnovice View Post
Opinions don't really matter as far as the rifle is concerned. Go out and shoot it and see how it does. All rifles are different, so you never know until you do that.
Old 05-21-2014, 12:33 PM

Thanks again for all the advice. I think my short term plan is to do exactly that. I figured out the problem I was having with the existing Lyman sight was operator error, so I'm going to sight it in and shoot a few boxes with that for now. That'll tell me plenty. I already bought a smaller aperture (.054 I think) than it had on, and I can try an even smaller one. If it seems to have potential, I might just buy a decent hunting scope for this one and use it for hunting and practice, and later I can invest in a complete, dedicated long range setup if I want.
Here are a few pics just for kicks, if they upload right. If nothing else, she's a pretty classy old girl.
Attached Thumbnails - Click to View Larger
'starter' scope etc.-full.jpg   'starter' scope etc.-left-1.jpg  

'starter' scope etc.-left-2.jpg   'starter' scope etc.-top-2.jpg