Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

Spot and stalk spotting scope

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-29-2014, 07:35 PM
Gold Member

Re: Spot and stalk spotting scope

Don't overlook the 15x56 minox from cameraland. They are better than the 15x50 viper for roughly the same price.
Old 05-30-2014, 05:00 AM
Platinum Member

Just saw this F/S binoculars & tripod for your consideration. I don't know anything about it seems like a good deal.

Good luck!

I voted for my "FREEDOM", "GUNS", and "MONEY" - keep the change - UNK.

"I am always proud of my country!"

"Leadership Rule #2: Don't be an @zzhole." - Maj Gen Burton Field.
Old 05-30-2014, 06:07 AM
Silver Member

The Vortex Diamondback 2-60x60 is a very lightweight option as well. On a Summit tripod it is an extremely light package. I can't imagine using a spotting scope on a stock. Just touching the eyepiece with my eyebrow is enough vibration to make the scope unusable. There is no way I could keep a 30+ power optic steady in the field on a stock. Also would be concerned about fatigue holding up a stock compared to sitting behind a tripod. With an angled eyepiece you may be able to get away with laying prone with the scope on your pack.
Old 05-30-2014, 08:15 PM
Bronze Member

I am fortunate to have both spotting scope and large binoculars,but if I had to chose between one I'd take the binoculars every time,running them off a small tripod, I have found it's a lot easier on the eye's when glassing for long periods.
Old 05-31-2014, 09:12 AM

Thank you all so much for the help and input! Y'all know how to make a new fella feel welcome!

I think A binocs only setup will likely be my best bet with ease of use and functionality. The 2x doubler from vortex is probably going to be what winds up convincing me to go that route. A 15x50ish binoc ona tripod would them jump to about 30x50 and accomplish the exact same goal as a light weight spotter.

Browning, I have absolutely zero knowledge or experience with Minox but I will take a serious look at them.

Feenix, Thanks for the heads up on that sale ad! I'll be doing some research on that model too
Old 06-07-2014, 02:33 AM
Bronze Member

I don't own a doubler. Have thought about getting one but haven't heard any good input about brightness or clarity. My friend had one for his sworros. And it was absolutely unusable with out a tripod. (He for get his tripod head on the hunt). I run 12x56 on a tripod and love it for finding game. Have how ever entertained a spotting scope for better field judging (mountains of Idaho ) just can't justify the extra weight.