Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

Spend on a Ruger M77MKII or start over

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-10-2006, 07:45 PM

Spend on a Ruger M77MKII or start over

I'm just getting into coyote, long range hunting. My objective is to have 1 rifle good for elk, deer, and coyote out to 600 yards or so.

Im thinking along the lines of a 8 - 10 lb rifle w/optics that shoots a 30 cal. (300 wsm, wm) bullet at 1 MOA or less.

I curently own a Ruger M77 MKII bone stock purchased in 95 or so with probably 200 rounds through it. Overall good condition. Bare minimum it will need a stock(I hate the stock and recoil pad). No I dont know how it shoots as far as minimum posible group size. I can shoot 1.5 groups without much effort at 100 yrds but never realy tried for better. Remember I'm new to this long range stuff. My forte is muzzle stuffers.

My question is: What are your opinions on working with this rifle or just starting over?

My budget is 1k or preferably less.

I was thinking of the Weatherby Vanguard SUB MOA as a starting over point. What are your thoughts on this rifle.

Thanks,

Rick
Old 04-10-2006, 08:09 PM
Bronze Member

Re: Spend on a Ruger M77MKII or start over

What caliber is the Ruger you currently own? If that's a .300 WM or the likes, there's a good chance it would do what you wanted with perhaps some trigger work and a "new stock" to meet your preference. If you handload, it's likely you will find a load that will give you acceptable accuracy as is for out to 600 yards with plenty of umpfh for elk. If you shoot factory ammo, "get serious" and many different brands for accuracy. 100 yards groups are pretty, but 2,3,400 yard groups are a LOT more informative.
Old 04-10-2006, 10:21 PM

Oops! Forgot some important info. The rifle is chambered for 300 win Mag.

Yes I agree it is likely this rifle will perform to my current standards. Im just thinking that this rifle is limited in potential and aftermarket support. Of course the Weatherby Vanguard is probably in much the same catagory.

The lack of interest in these guns concerns me a little.

Rick
Old 04-10-2006, 11:35 PM
Silver Member

...the "potential" you speak of will usually favor the Remington 700 & Savages are also popular; by far the most popular action to build on and for all the right reasons, is the Rem 700; good solid design, most any gunsmith will be familiar with this action & anything you could ask for in the aftermarket... hope this helps, Larry
Old 04-11-2006, 08:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If you shoot factory ammo, "get serious" and many different brands for accuracy.

[/ QUOTE ]

I dont entirely understand this sentance. Are you trying to say I must reload to get good accuracy, or just saying to try many different factory loads?
Old 04-11-2006, 05:33 PM
Platinum Member

A 300 Wn should be good way past 600yds if you and the gun and the ammo are capable.
First thing to do is to "get serious" about seeing what you and your current gun will do. Generally, it is said that there is a three legged stool supporting accuracy - the gun - the shooter- and the ammo. Go buy beg borrow or steal different brands and loadings of different brands of ammo and really concentrate on trying to get good groups and find which ammo the gun likes. If the gun will shoot one inch groups at 100 yds then you are in business.
The kill zone on most every thing except the scrawny ole coyote is way bigger than six inches at six hundred yards.

Once you get the gun shooting well you might spend a little money getting a trigger job and a crown - that's about $100. You might have some fun and bed the action yourself and then take it back to the gunsmith for him to straighten out what you screwed up.

After that you might think about what optics you have on it and whether you need something better.

After that you can just admit up front you want a custom gun.

People may be a little surprised at your statement "never tried for anythng better" being as most of us are constantly trying for something better. A custom gun does not replace effort to acheive accuracy. This is sometimes known as practice.
Old 04-11-2006, 07:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]

People may be a little surprised at your statement "never tried for anythng better" being as most of us are constantly trying for something better. A custom gun does not replace effort to acheive accuracy. This is sometimes known as practice.

[/ QUOTE ]

I didnt mean to imply that I'm not familiar with accuracy and striving to do better. I know about working up loads, accuracy, trajectories, velocity, ballistic coeficiants(sp?), triggers, powder grains, primers, and my part in the equasion. The difference is I use this info in the quest for accuracy with a muzzleloader with open sights. This is purely a short range low velocity affair but uses all or most of the same basic pricipals. Its in the details, and modern rifles have quite a few more details to contend with.

Recently I started hunting with a friend that uses an HS precision 300 WSM and a custom built 300 RUM with carbon wrappped barrel. He has sparked my interest in modern rifles and I am thinking of dusting off the 300 and giving it a go. Im just wondering if this is a decent start given my small budjet, or if I should cut my losses and start over?

It sounds like it all depends on how the rifle shoots now, so I think I will start there and see what I have.

I searched the net and Midway for a replacement stock. It seems the choices are few and far between for a Ruger M77 MKII. Any suggestions? Midway lists a Bell and Carlson and a Ramline. The B&C needs a modified recoil lug for the magnum. The Ramline is a drop in. They are both on the cheep side but the only option I have found so far.