Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

# some rifle stocks better than others #

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-18-2013, 01:15 PM
Silver Member

# some rifle stocks better than others #

I wondered myself why do shooters/hunters prefer this type of stock instead of similar stock.

Mind you, I have a McMillan A-5 Adj. cheekpiece stock, using 6BR cartridge.

I've researched and gather all information I need to build for my next project. My long range project will be either 338 AM/338 Snipetac or 338 Raptor.

It seems that most popular are McMillan A-5 or Manners. That will handle high powered cartridge due to twist, shifting and better design.

When I shoot at long range, I only touch with my thumb on the grip, one finger on the trigger, cheek weld lightly on the cheekpiece and shoulder lightly touches the butt.

So why did you choose this stock over other stock? Based on looks, feel and weight?
I wonder if I can use the laminated wood stock for high powered rifle. (see the picture below, red stripes on black). The price is around $200.

McMillan A-5 is approaching $700 to $900.
Attached Thumbnails - Click to View Larger
# some rifle stocks better than others #-rifle-stock.jpg  
Old 12-18-2013, 06:29 PM
Platinum Member

Re: # some rifle stocks better than others #

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Fear in Accuracy View Post
I wondered myself why do shooters/hunters prefer this type of stock instead of similar stock.

Mind you, I have a McMillan A-5 Adj. cheekpiece stock, using 6BR cartridge.

I've researched and gather all information I need to build for my next project. My long range project will be either 338 AM/338 Snipetac or 338 Raptor.

It seems that most popular are McMillan A-5 or Manners. That will handle high powered cartridge due to twist, shifting and better design.

When I shoot at long range, I only touch with my thumb on the grip, one finger on the trigger, cheek weld lightly on the cheekpiece and shoulder lightly touches the butt.

So why did you choose this stock over other stock? Based on looks, feel and weight?
I wonder if I can use the laminated wood stock for high powered rifle. (see the picture below, red stripes on black). The price is around $200.

McMillan A-5 is approaching $700 to $900.
Yes you can. Laminates are almost as strong as the best composites and just as weather proof as long as you reseal the channel and action area after final fitting, floating etc.

I probably wouldn't put one on anything bigger than a 338wm, but wouldn't hesitate up to them.

When you get into the super magnums it's probably best to go with one of the better composites just due to the higher density of the material and lower likelihood of it ever cracking or splitting.

Solid wood is a different story because it does not have the epoxy embedded into it to strengthen it that the laminates do.

I talked to one of the better custom composit stock makers in the country about possibly "needing" to replace one of my laminates with one of his and said there was really no need, not enough increase in strength to make a difference on a 300wm.

Of course all that did was sell me on doing business with him in the future.
Old 12-18-2013, 08:05 PM
Platinum Member

I like wood stocks, both laminate and figured wood and both will make a very nice stock for a Cheytac based cartridge but it really boils down to what you like. I do like the McMillian A-5 on an ELR rifle because it sets well and tracks good under recoil but you can get a laminate or wood that is shaped the same and functions just as well. I would talk to Joel Russo, he's handy with the Cheytac based rounds and the wood/laminate stocks!!
Old 12-18-2013, 08:52 PM
Silver Member

True, McMillan will be my first choice however if the wood laminated stock can handle super magnum for a period of time, then I'll go for laminated stock.

My only concern is the recoil lug. It might move back and forth over time and it will become loose?
I'm sure that the laminated wood stock is pretty strong and has good density as the composites.

Sure, I'll email Joel Russo for his opinions and his clients.

I was thinking as "comparison" between McMillan and Apple iPhone.
When hunters/shooters saw others using McMillan, they want one but for no reason.

Samsumg phone is like laminated wood. It is still good anyway.
Old 12-18-2013, 09:54 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
True, McMillan will be my first choice however if the wood laminated stock can handle super magnum for a period of time, then I'll go for laminated stock.

My only concern is the recoil lug. It might move back and forth over time and it will become loose?
I'm sure that the laminated wood stock is pretty strong and has good density as the composites.

When hunters/shooters saw others using McMillan, they want one but for no reason.

The laminate is not going to move any more than any other stock that's been bedded. The lamination process used infuses an epoxy throughout the wood and then they are compressed under very high pressure to produce the sheets of laminate.

They are made essentially in the same way that gang lam, laminated beams are which we use in building homes specifically for strength over big windows, doors, or spanning very long distances between walls.

When I bed a stock I purposely gouge out a good bit of material behind the lug as well as in front of it so that the lug is fully bedded into Devcon. Do the same thing on yours and don't sweat it a bit.
Old 12-18-2013, 09:55 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:

I wouldn't hesitate for a second to use anything made by him. he knows his wood.
Old 12-19-2013, 07:29 PM
Silver Member

That's good to know.

Adding laminate wood to my project list.