Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

Some advise on a Savage 110

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-26-2013, 08:26 AM
Gold Member

Re: Some advise on a Savage 110

Sierra Match Kings (SMK) do really well in most LR rifles and they are inexpensive. But they don't seem to perform well on game, as they are designed as a match grade target bullet. Having said that, their shortcoming seems to disappear when you get to the big 338 bullets (300 grainers). So much energy at that level that it doesn't seem important whether the bullet performs or not - it still flattens the animal. Lots of people using the 300 grain SMK and Berger OTM with great success on elk and smaller game. I'm sure some of them will chime in. If not, start a new thread on the subject and see what pops up.

As far as powders go. a lot of us prefer the Hodgdon "extreme" powders, because they are less susceptible to variations in velocity due to big swings in temperature. Most go with Hodgdon's Retumbo or 1000. Some are reporting good success with the relatively new Reloader 33. A few like VV N570.
Old 08-30-2013, 12:57 PM

Azsugarbear thanks again. You've been a great help with everything. I am new to actually shooting with real accuracy. The reloading is completely new for me. I will probably start a new treat about bullets, and I have a ethical question I want to pose as well. But thank you again huge help. Tony.
Old 08-30-2013, 01:21 PM
Gold Member

Just a note of caution: this board tries to stay away from discussions on ethics. It's not that posters here on LRH don't have any (quite the contrary), but rather ethics can be a very subjective topic. A situation where one hunter telling another hunter what is right or wrong can quickly become acrimonious. One cannot tell another where to draw the line. However, we are free to tell others where we draw our own personal lines. We just don't try to impose them on others. This forum has flourished largely because we try to treat everyone with respect and civility.
Old 09-02-2013, 01:10 PM

I agree with you. I wanted to ask about a large cat in my hunting area, but figured it might not be such a good idea. I was fortunate enough to see it up close, within 40 yards, and it never saw me. I watched it for about 400yrds before it whent back into the woods. Really was a once in a lifetime thing.