Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

Some advise on a Savage 110

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-14-2013, 04:46 PM

Re: Some advise on a Savage 110

Thanks for the help. Up till recently I didn't know my Savage could be anthing other than what it was. This will be a fun learning experience for me.
Old 08-14-2013, 10:23 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd676 View Post
This is the best advice you will get anywhere. Jim Briggs is the man when it comes to Savage. I helped a friend put one together (Jim stepped us through it on the phone) and it shoots 1/2 moa with reloads. This one was a .260 with a 26" CBI barrel.
Thanks. Nice of you to say.

Coincidentally, I had a package full of CBI stuff show up from Jim today.

To the OP- Your Savage can be almost anything you want it to be. I have an action that started life as a 308, I turned it into a 32" barreled fire breathing 338 Edge. I've also turned a stagger feed 7mm mag into a centerfeed 223.

Savage is a great platform for anyone who likes to tinker with their own stuff.
Old 08-17-2013, 05:35 PM

Thanks Geargrinder,
I have been doing a lot reading on the gun with the help from here, and I have learnd a lot as well. I think it will be a good gun for me to start with. I will get the Leapold vx2- 4/12x40mm. to start, I just need to figure out what length to get it in. It will be a match grade, but don't know what twist either. This site is very helpful, and thanks to all for all the input. Going on to barrels, does any one have any input on the pros and cons of length of a barrel, or the twist? Thanks again.....
Old 08-19-2013, 05:58 AM
Silver Member

Unless I missed it you didn't say what caliber you were going to re-barrel to. With a specific caliber and bullet in mind you can then decide on length and twist for the barrel. I don't know exactly where you are located but I have all the tools to swap barrels and would be happy to walk you through your first barrel change.

Bob
Old 08-20-2013, 07:46 PM

I'm wanting to keep it a 7mm mag. That seems to be a really good round, deer normally drop fast. Sorry about the lapse on reply's, I drive trucks and don't always have time to go online. I'm thinking about 168gr berger. Thanks.
Old 08-20-2013, 09:01 PM
Silver Member

For the 7 Mag I would get a 9 twist with at least 26" of barrel and shoot the 160 grain Accubond or the 162 Amax if I could find them. I don't care for the Bergers although I know they have a big fan base here. The new long range Accubond might be a good one too.

Bob
Old 08-22-2013, 02:52 PM

Thanks Bob, I need to do some research to figure out what all the pros and cons are. One of the sites mentioned before for barrels has different options for twist #of rifling, and length.