Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

Small Caliber Long Range Questions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-14-2013, 09:48 PM
Bronze Member

Small Caliber Long Range Questions

I'm new to this whole long range bit, and I'm still trying to wrap my mind around shooting past max point blank range. I'm very interested in extending the range limit of my coyote hunting. I am building a .223 on a Stevens action, with a SSS comp trigger and Boyd's prairie hunter stock. My next move is to upgrade the scope I have been hunting with for a few years on other rifles. I currently have a Swift Premier 4-12x40 AO. OK now for the questions.

1. What is the effective range of the .223 with hunting bullets (I'm shooting 55 gn Berger FB)

2. On a rifle of this caliber is a guy better off with a BDC reticle or target/tactical turrets?

3. I'm looking at the Ziess Conquest for this rig. Is this gonna do what I'm wanting to do? The target turret model is what I'm thinking.
Zeiss - Camera Land NY

4.I'm planning on changing out the barrel sometime this summer for a Shilen. I'm thinking 24" .223AI.. How much will this add to the range of this rifle?

Sorry for all the new guy questions, I figured this was the place to ask though.

EDIT: SCRATCH THE BARNES 36GN IDEA

Last edited by ShowMeShooter; 03-14-2013 at 10:45 PM. Reason: to scratch the 36gn Barnes idea
Old 03-14-2013, 10:28 PM
Gold Member

Re: Small Caliber Long Range Questions

Welcome...........If you are moving toward a long range load: Going from 55gr to 36gr is exactly opposite of what you should be doing. The heavier bullets will retain speed better, fight wind better and be way better for long range work. think 77 gr smk
Old 03-14-2013, 10:43 PM
Bronze Member

OK I thought SMK weren't for hunting. I have some of those 77 SMK (15 or so to test) and some 69 gn SMK (35 or so loaded to test). My Stevens has a 1:9 twist. How heavy of a bullet will it stabilize? Will a 60gn V-max get the job done long range? As you know reloading componets are hard to find right now, I have several of the 55 gn Bergers and 60gn V-max on hand. What would be the effective range of these two bullets?
Old 03-14-2013, 11:27 PM
Gold Member

small Smk work great for varmints, I use large smk on elk and dear with great effect. Not marketed as a hunting bullet and not intended as a controlled expansion bullet. They can frag out or pencil threw depending on impact velocity and target density but they work great if you use them appropriately (appropriate is dependent on intended result).
The 69 will stabilize and the 77 should stabilize in a 1in9 twist.
of course the v-maxes will work and do not get me wrong, most bullets will work. It's just some better and easier than others. High bc is what you want to fight that wind and drag out that velocity.
I would probably opt for a bdc reticle for speed of use out to about 500 but after that dialing in is where it's at. Max range will depend on conditions and if you, your optics and your rifle can work together well enough you can reach out into the abyss. I have nailed coyotes past seven hundred with mine and I do not even work with my 223 very much, seen guys do it at over a grand but consider it more than a little exceptional and pretty lucky at that range.
Old 03-15-2013, 12:02 AM
Bronze Member

I'm only an hour from Sierra, so maybe I'll take a ride over there next week and scoop up a bunch of 69 SMK's if my test goes well tomorrow. Hopefully my rifle will like them. I may rethink the scope choice. Maybe a Nikon Monarch or something similar. I know I have to stay under $700 so I can add the barrel too. I would be happy to get out to 5-600 yards. that would double my current effective range.
Old 03-15-2013, 05:57 AM
Silver Member

If you have to stay under $700, I would consider the Vortex Viper PST's. Absolutely wonderful scopes for someone that is trying to keep cash in pocket.
Old 03-15-2013, 09:15 AM
Platinum Member

my opinion after shooting over 250 coyotes the .223 is not a long range coyote gun. i would use one of the 60 grain bullets - berger , hornady, nosler. to get "max range". a 9 twist 22-243 or 22-250 bettter for long range. a .243 even better.