Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

A short story about the bottom line, with help from some LR Hunting Regulars

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-22-2003, 11:26 PM
Silver Member

Re: A short story about the bottom line, with help from some LR Hunting Regulars

Attention Admins: Please Delete

Last edited by Sheldon; 08-30-2009 at 04:13 PM.
Old 02-23-2003, 08:03 PM
Silver Member

Re: A short story about the bottom line, with help from some LR Hunting Regulars

I never have been very good at dealing with temptation.

This morning, I am sorry to admit, I gave in.

But in my defense, I swear that coyote was suicidal. She'd have been disappointed if I hadn't shot.

I had sat in my seat about as long as I could. The warm sun felt nice, but I was cold setting there. So I decided to make my way down the fence row and see if I could spot something from a different vantage point. I made it a couple of hundred yards, then decided to head back to my seat. As I turned around. I saw her. She just stood there looking at me from the brush, just over three hundred yards behind me. At first, I wasn't even sure it was a coyote. It's not like them to hold still being that close after I have just moved. I took the rifle off of my shoulder and looked through the scope. Yep, it was a coyote, and she just stood there looking right at me. She didn't move as I laid down into a prone position. I just watched here for a little bit. Then my thumb found the safety, she started to turn to leave, then turned back towards me.

I couldn't help myself. I put the cross hairs on her nose, and my finger on the trigger. A second later, the rifle boomed, and I heard the responding WHAP!.

It took her low in the chest, heart shot. She made it all of sixty yards before piling up in a bush.

Now if I could just catch sight of a Javalina. [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]
Old 02-24-2003, 01:04 PM
Writers Guild

Ian, How did you know that about the elk? Have another about a big bull moose stepping out at the edge of a marsh at 500yds. Also, finally seeing a legal buck at long range.

This year has been great for weather where I live. Been able to get out with lots of shooting. I try to get out once a week but sometimes more. My recent new baby girl should have hindered me more but she is such an angel and easy to take care off...more trigger time.

However, there has been limited time in the shop so my RUM stock just looks at me. I hope to get to that soon.

I used to do a lot of silhouette shooting and offhand shooting was a no brainer. Comes in really handy when shooting hyper active bambi's. Having stopped that a few years ago, I can really see my shooting degrade. It is just so much more work to get that reticle in the right place when the trigger breaks.

For those who also hunt on foot, give silhoutte shooting a try. With rimfire, it is cheap and really easy to do. Great practise and lots of fun. Of couse, pop cans off a fence post works just as well.

I think this form of shooting does more to teach you proper technique then any other form appropriate for hunting. I do a lot of shooting off a bench and know that I still get good results even though I am sloopy. On my hind legs, I just get a clean miss.

When you get too good with pop cans at 40yds, try shotgun shells, then rimfire cases. That's right, hitting a spent rimfire case at 40yds off hand. Not easy but definitely possible. When you can get to the shotgun shell, any big game is really BIG game.

Rimfire shooting is the best and most economical way to get trigger time. You can do this anywhere and on any range. If you shoot out to 200yds+, it will give you lots of training for reading the conditions too.

In North America, we are truly blessed in our ablility to shoot and hunt. Let's get others involved and spread the fun...

Jerry

PS Ian, thanks for all those pleasant thoughts and comments. It really must be cold where you are... [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
Old 02-24-2003, 01:19 PM
Platinum Member

Minus thirty-seven this morning, I shot at the range yesterday in minus 42 windchill - had the place all to myself.
Old 02-24-2003, 03:24 PM
Platinum Member

Ian... you are absolutely insane my friend!! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] Your cabin fever
must be REAAAAAAALY, REAAAAAAAALY bad! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

It was +44 degrees yesterday and still holding today. It got cold last night though, it went down to 36. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] It is supposed to be warm all week so this will be nice. Hope it warms up for you soon.
Old 02-24-2003, 08:23 PM
PUBLISHER

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR> Kalahari-quickie <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ian

Can I use that line and pretend it is my own, please?

Long Range Rifles, LLC - Ready To Ship

Components and assembly by LRH Sponsors
Old 02-24-2003, 09:51 PM
Platinum Member

Len,
It's all yours. Wouldn't that be a great image for the cover of National Geographic...

I once took a nice set of photos of a big whitetail buck humping a receptive doe. Only problem is that he got on the wrong end. Must have been the first attempt of the year and he had forgotten a few things.

While I am on the subject of wierd wildlife images, ever hear of oral self-masterbation or oral stimulation (can't remember what the correct scientific term is). Photographed that one time also. Big buck was skylined on a knoll about 20 yards from me. Did himself right in front of my Nikon. Kinky rascals those whitetails!
What they hell the above has to do with LR hunting I am not sure, but... [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]