Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

Short or long action???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-27-2006, 09:21 PM

Re: Short or long action???

BountyHunter, sounds like a good setup. Problems is that it doesn't look like remington offers that. They only show a 24" smooth barrel. I would like a 26-28" fluted stainless steel. Maybe I'm just reading the charts wrong or possibly I can order one.
Old 02-27-2006, 11:26 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

Quality machining of the receiver and a quality barrel fit and chambering will make a more significant difference to fine accuracy then the difference between a long and short action receiver.

While they all have nearly the same listed velocity, if the rounds you list are loaded to top pressures, the belted magnums will run 75 to 150 fps more then the short action magnums for a give barrel length on average. Contrary to what is advertised, they are not the full equal to the old belted magnums, sexier though!!! I suppose.

They will all perform well in a quality built rifle. Do the research to find a good smith and then pick which round you are most interested in, the difference in accuracy will be very hard to see fired off a human shoulder if the rifle is built properly.

Kirby Allen(50)

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: www.apsrifles.com

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 02-28-2006, 06:42 AM
Platinum Member

[ QUOTE ]
I have always heard the a short action is more accurite than a long action. Any truth to this???

[/ QUOTE ]
Having observed and participated in accuracy for over 30 years at ranges far beyond 300 yards for cartridges shooting bullets heavier than 160 grains leaving faster than 2500 fps, the best performance has been with long actions having a lot of flat bedding surfaces on the receiver so it won't twist and distort bedding from torque.
Old 02-28-2006, 09:28 PM

Thanks for all the great comments. This site is tops for quality people that know what they are talking about.

Tell me what you think, as far as my plans go.
I wanted to buy a factory rifle with a 26-28" stainless fluted barrel. Take it to my gunsmith and have him square the action/barrel marriage.

Then I am going to piller bed, inlet, float barrel, lap barrel and adjust the trigger.

Like stated before this is mainly a hunting rifle that I want to get the most out of. I don't shoot competition unless you count a freindly wager with my hunting buds [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 03-01-2006, 03:47 PM
Gold Member

Save yourself some money if your going to have the action trued and buy a match grade barrel.
Old 03-01-2006, 04:36 PM
Platinum Member

[ QUOTE ]
Then I am going to piller bed, inlet, float barrel, lap barrel and adjust the trigger

[/ QUOTE ]

I would strongly advise against lapping a barrel after it has been chambered and cut to length. You can do a great deal of damage to the accuracy potential by belling out the throat and or the muzzle.

I'd go to Wal-mart and pick up a factory Remington then order a custom barrel that has already been lapped. You'll spend $650 or so which is just a tad more than most factory sticks with a 26"-28" SS fluted barrel plus you get a far better barrel than you will likely ever get from any factory.

Chris
Old 03-01-2006, 06:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You can do a great deal of damage to the accuracy potential by belling out the throat and or the muzzle.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is something that I didn't know. See what I mean by such a great site. I guess I need to start visiting shops around here and see if I can't pick up just the action then order a barrel and have him mate them for me. 600.00 is very reasonable for a quality shooting gun.