Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

Shooting with a sling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-04-2005, 07:52 PM
Silver Member

Re: Shooting with a sling

[ QUOTE ]
What is the proper form or technique for shooting prone or sitting using a sling. Also, what sling would you recommend for hunting purposes. Thanks.

[/ QUOTE ] All of the slings mentioned are vary fine slings, I know as I have several. The sling that has proven itself for me for hunting these past 30 plus years has been Brownell's Latigo sling. (I have over two dozen mounted) It is a fast to get into action quick to close for going through brush and putting the rifle back in the leather scabbard, or canvas case. I really like the darn things and always recommend them to anyone looking for a great sling!
Old 06-05-2005, 02:02 PM
Gold Member

Ray Brandes of Ray-Vin.com (excellent scope stands and shooting stools if you are into NRA Highpower, recommended) has some updated picture tutorials on how to setup both the GI cotton web sling (the one that came w/ the M1 and M1A, not the nylon one from the M16) and the leather 1907 sling. This is the way they are used today in modern Highpower competition for sitting and prone Rapid Fire and Slowfire competition (there is another variation for the 1907 sling... just different positioning of the keepers, not much else)

Rigging the leather 1907 military sling

Rigging the GI cotton web sling

HTH,

Monte
Old 06-09-2005, 07:29 PM

Has anyone ever used the Tactical Intervention quick cuff sling? How did you like it?
Old 06-15-2005, 05:30 AM
Bronze Member

[ QUOTE ]
Has anyone ever used the Tactical Intervention quick cuff sling? How did you like it?

[/ QUOTE ]

I have one. It is a well-made piece of gear, but I don't like it for what I do. On hunting-weight rifles, I think a Galco Ching-Sling is pretty tough to beat.

Rick