Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

Setting up a scope square?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-12-2006, 11:51 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Setting up a scope square?

If you own a nightforce and have a solid weaver style base then just put work cards in between the scope and base and crank down the scope in the rings. make sure you have enough to keep it TIGHT then take out the cards and your race ready. At least it's worked for me. Hope this helped
Old 10-12-2006, 03:08 PM
Silver Member

Next time I go to an official range with target backing and all (VAST majority of my shooting is done at targets on apple or banana boxes, which don't stay level enough to try your method) I will draw a vert. line and level my rifle and check and see how good my leveling jobs with the Weever system worked.

Will post results pending range visit.
Old 10-13-2006, 12:22 AM
Silver Member

Reason I asked was because one of my rifles shoots the group slightly off centre to the right.
Which at a fair way away amounts to a minor missplacement, but it is an issue.

cheers
Old 10-13-2006, 08:55 AM
Gold Member

I don't know what kind of shooting you are doing, but if you shoot various distances, the farther out you go, the more your windage will be off. If you are target shooting you can easily adjust this. But if you are hunting, especially long range, this could result in a miss or a wounded animal. It's an easy fix on the bench.
db
Old 10-13-2006, 04:35 PM
Platinum Member

[ QUOTE ]
How do you get your scope set up so it is straight up and down with the bore?

cheers

[/ QUOTE ]

I know that my reply will be contriversal,but here goes. The scopes reticle does not have to be straight up and down the bore. The reticle needs to be level with the horizon the way you hold the rifle. David Tubbs an extremely talented long range competitor shoots with a canted rifle, but levels the reticle with the horizon, but not square to the rifle. Read his books and he talks about this in detail
Old 10-13-2006, 10:02 PM
Gold Member

Yes, there are a number of rifle and pistol shooters that shoot with an offset scope but they are usually punching paper or steel at known distances and have the opportunity to sight in at that distance. The reason I am concerned about correct tracking is the first shot from your weapon, and that may be anywhere from 100 yds out to 1000yds on the living. If you set your scope up to hit dead on at say 100yds and it is canted, then you range and click up to take a shot at say 800yds on a deer, your bullet will not impact where you were aiming. Try it. Set your rifle on the bench in the position you normally shoot and loosen the scope, move it 20 degrees and tighten. Adjust your POI to be dead on at 100yds. Then pick a target at say 800yds, click up to the proper elevation and see where your bullet impacts. That's all I'm saying. Even though Mr Tubbs' scope is canted I would bet it is parallel to the bore.
db
Old 10-13-2006, 11:01 PM
Platinum Member

[Quote] by
"If you set your scope up to hit dead on at say 100yds and it is canted, then you range and click up to take a shot at say 800yds on a deer, your bullet will not impact where you were aiming" [Quote]

I am not talking about a canted scope reticle the scope reticle is level with the horizon. I am saying that the scope does not have to be level and square with the rifle only with the horizon,or in other words if you held a level verticle the reticle would match the level even if you shoot a canted rifle