Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

Sendero weight consideration for hunting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-23-2005, 05:09 PM

Sendero weight consideration for hunting

I am a novice looking at getting into a hunting rifle that has long range capabilities. In the past, I have hunted with a Model 94 30.30 and a Rem. Mohawk 600 .308. Both were pretty short range guns.

I am currently considering a Remington Sendero 7mm UltraMag. Priced NIB at $709. Any feedback on this model?

I'm especially interested in whether or not this gun should be considered for hunting, or if it is more of a bench gun due to its weight.

Thanks!
Old 03-23-2005, 06:53 PM
Silver Member

Re: Sendero weight consideration for hunting

Well it depends on how tough you think you are, how much walking you plan to do, and if it is really nessesary for your intended range.

I carried a savage 112 BVSS which is about the same style of the remington sendero except savages version of it. It is about 12 pounds to start with then I put a leupold 6.5-20X40mm scope on it then a harris bipod. so the whole package is around 13-14 pounds. I carried it in the local Wilderness area this last year and throughout the season I walked maybe 50+ miles and was still good for some more. The only deer that I wound up shooting was only 25 yards away but that is beside the point.

I am 18 and some would say that I have more ambission than sense but I ignore that anyway. Yes it will be a challenge but it is definetely do able.
Old 04-15-2005, 07:06 AM
Bronze Member

here are my 2 cents on rifle weight. I have owned everything from win 30-30 up to the sendero. I like the sendero better. I have hauled that rifle for miles for hours. never bothered me. I found that carrying any rifle gets a little tiring. an extra 3-4 lbs is not noticable for me. put a strap on it. and if you need a steady shot you have it. I am from Maine and usually carry an 11 lb rifle in 458 win mag. these woods are some thick. I don't mind the weight at all. I have owned and used 2 senderos (7mm rem and currently have a 300 rum) I have no regrets and have no desire to get anything lighter. accuracy is too important to me.
Old 04-15-2005, 09:36 PM
Bronze Member

I'm shooting a sendero in 7mm mag. I just put my rifle on my bathroom scale and it weighs 12.5 lbs. That is with a Leupold Mark 4 LR/T M3 scope, leupold QRW rings and bases, harris bipod, comb pad, shell holder w/5 loaded rounds, anti cant device, 3/4" shooting sling w/swivles and a bit of duct tape. That is ready to hunt.

I carry it all over the place during deer season. It gets heavy, but it isn't unrealisitic.

Good Luck!
Old 04-20-2005, 02:15 PM

Thanks for the response. I bought the Sendero and a Weaver Grand Slam 4.5-14 for it (the wife wouldn't go for the Mark 4) Now I just need to put a brake and bipod on, do a trigger job and start shooting long distance.

Thanks again,
jrmac
Old 04-20-2005, 04:43 PM

I honestly do not believe you will regret it one bit. Good choice.
_________